reminder - public nature of forums | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

reminder - public nature of forums

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Katharine, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katharine

Katharine Registered

Hello all :)

This post is just a reminder to everyone in general about the very “public” nature of all forums and the fact that they are indexed by search engines.

A lot of us post on this forum post here when we are in need of support and advice. That is what a forum is for and being able to do that is obviously extremely important.

However, some of our posts can be very personal, sometimes that is essential to us and we need that outlet, but forums remain very public places and thanks to search engines, it is surprising what things may come up in a search.

Often, if one puts in key words (and that CAN include someone’s screen name), a quick search brings up posts on here.

Most of the time this is of very little importance and indeed is a valuable source of information to those out there looking for the same type of support and advice as we all lucky enough to have here. Sometimes though, if a story is too personal, or if we are likely to have family members/colleagues looking up what we might be writing about, it obviously isn’t what we wanted.

For my part, I sometimes need to write something more personal and if I do, I really don’t mind who reads it at all. I might think differently though if I had mentioned something that could, potentially, harm me at work or if I felt that certainly family members might read it.

Katharine

2. LolaLola

LolaLola Registered

Katherine,
    This is so true. Thanks for the reminder. I had a dear friend on another site who was a Lecturer, she became very upset when her Students were able to access what she had said. It is something we all need to bear in mind.
    x Lola

3. ElephantEyes

ElephantEyes Registered

I'm just going to bump this up again and I'd like to add that it is not advisable to put your phone number and/or email address onto the public boards. Anybody can stumble across this site and I wouldn't like people to receive spam or get hoax calls or messages.

Thanks

4. modteam

modteam Moderator

:bump:

I'd also like to add that the moderators do not encourage members to share personal information such as phone numbers, email addresses etc. We also strongly discourage the use of the PM system to solicit this information.

The Moderating Team

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.