Rose hip | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Rose hip

Discussion in 'Complementary therapies' started by cally, Jan 6, 2011.

1. cally

cally Registered

Ok, so I'm not one for alternative therapies butI've become pretty desperate in the last while.

My friend has RA and has had a lot of relief from Rose hip, so much so that she has managed to come off of her anti-inflammatory medication completely, from being on maximum dose. I thought I would give it a go. My GP said there was no harm in trying it but also said he was sure I would get no relief. :(

Anyway, it arrived today, from a reputable source. I have taken my first 2 tablets and we will see how it goes. My Mum has always been big on any kind of alternative therapy but I have seen her waste so much money on it that I have always stayed clear. I don't hold out much faith but since it isn't going to hurt me or interact with my current medication then the only thing suffering if my boyfriend's wallet.

Has anyone else tried it?

Cally x

2. Katharine

Katharine Registered

Hi there,

I haven't tried it but will be interested to know how you get on with it. I think a very important thing here, to anybody else reading, is that you DID check with your doc before taking any alternative therapy.

Good luck on it :hug:

Katharine

3. bugsy

bugsy Registered

Hi Cally

I personally haven't tried rose hip but my mum as been taking it for a few years now and she swears by it. She doesn't have lupus or any other problems besides suffering from arthritis for quite a few years. She as tried a few different types of alternative medicines and never really had any success until taking rose hip. Since she as started taking it she doesn't rely on pain killers ever day like she used to, she only takes them if she is having a particular bad spell.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you and hope that you get some relief from this, please keep in touch and let us know how you get on, the only other thing that I can add is, don't expect a miracle over night, if I remember rightly it did take a little while to kick in, but once it did it was worth the wait.

Good luck :luck: and take care :hug: Jo :hug:

4. cally

cally Registered

Thank you both. I agree that the VERY important part is always to check with your doctor. Something that may claim to help you could in fact be doing you damage. I know a few people who have been convinced they should try ecanacia (sp) but once I have told them to check with their GP have been told what it claims to do is the exact opposite of what the drugs they are on is trying to do!

So, I will also check with my rheumy but for the moment I have a great GP who wouldn't let me take anything that could harm me. I'm hoping to find someone who has tried it though!

Cally x

5. Katharine

Katharine Registered

Echinacea :lol:

6. cally

cally Registered

I hope you're laughing at the drug and not my spelling!:lol:

7. Pink Pearl

Pink Pearl Registered

Cally, could save you a bunch of money. We have rugosa roses and could give you a LOT of rose hips as that is what they are usually made from. :) In years gone by, they were dried and rehydrated in tea, made from the dry skin and flesh of the hips. My great-grandmother was big in holistic "healing" as she was the one everyone in the area came to for help. Some of it has merit, others not at all.
    Sally

8. Barb G

Barb G Registered

Rose hips are a natural source of Vitamin C. Vitamin C supports collagen. The tissues that are attacked in autoimmune disease are made of collagen and the Vitamin C from the rose hips helps the collagen to regenerate/repair the tissues. Or something like that --- I wrote this from memory so hopefully I remembered it correctly :)

Barb

9. countrylass

countrylass Registered

Hi Cally
    Good you checked with Gp...ive only tried the rose hip tea..that was long time ago.i tried many things over years.
    gentle massage helps me to release tension in fibro trigger points.but always check with gp/rheumy.
    ive not had it since things got worse..........id love to.

countrylass

10. cally

cally Registered

This stuff is meant to be really strong, same as my friend with RA takes. She has really changed since she started it, going up and down stairs, taking her son to school, loads of things she was in too much pain to do before.

It's 7500mg which is the most potent you can buy. I'm trying to keep an open mind, although I'm never very convinced by anecdotal evidence.

C x

11. Barb G

Barb G Registered

12. cally

cally Registered

I meant that it hadn't gone through the normal trials as this one is quite small and none for any of the conditions I have. But thanks anyway. I've done a lot of research into it, I would never take anything without doing that first. I think I know more about all of the medication I take than my doctors :D Thank you for the article though.

13. countrylass

countrylass Registered

No harm as long as doctor approves its use........thats good hear re your friend trial on it.

i had great benefit from starflower oil for breats pain as side effect from hormone pills in past.was told take it by breast care conusultant that was at high dose.in long term though i had come off the pill causing such pain..lol

hope it helps you hun.

countrylass