Saw a Naturopath yesterday | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Saw a Naturopath yesterday

Discussion in 'Complementary therapies' started by cjmclaughlin, Jul 22, 2010.

1. cjmclaughlin

cjmclaughlin Registered

So, after being hounded by my mother for months to go see a naturopathic physician that has been highly recommended by other autoimmune disease sufferers, I finally went and had my appointment yesterday. All I can say is Thanks Mom for driving me nuts. He was wonderful. We spent about 45 minutes discussing my health, symptoms, meds and diet. He has put me on a strict diet of mostly high protein and vegetables to see if that will help. Along with that he has ordered a myriad of bloodtests to check for vitamin/mineral deficiencies, thyroid problems, anemias, and things that I have no clue what they are...it should be an interesting visit to the lab ;) I am also on 50mg of prednisone which we are seriously trying to reduce but having a hard time with it....but we are going to try licorice extract and DHEA supplements as they have been known to help with corticosteroid use, meaning that I could potentially take a lower dose of prednisone with the same effect as a higher dose.
    He was so knowlegable and I thought for sure he would be a quack. I'm really excited to give this a shot and see how it goes. I figure it can't hurt anything and will be worth trying.
    I did find some very interesting research about Lupus and DHEA and am kinda puzzled why other doctors don't use it already. Have any of you tried either the licorice extract or the DHEA?

2. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

If you do an advanced search on DHEA you will find a number of threads on it.

Before trying anything recommended by the naturopathic physician you should check with your rheumy. Some things may conflict with medications you are already on.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

3. cjmclaughlin

cjmclaughlin Registered

Thanks for the info Lazylegs....I appreciate it. I'm supposed to call my rheumy for my weekly check in so will talk with her about the DHEA also at that time.

4. cjmclaughlin

cjmclaughlin Registered

Well, I spoke with my rheumy and she didn't feel it was a good idea to start the DHEA at this point in time...so now I have two doctors with opposite feelings.

5. greenhaggis

greenhaggis Registered

Well you have one un-regulated doctor called a Naturopath and a Rhueamtologist who is a regulated doctor...the choice of should I/should I not with DHEA would be an easy one for me, but this is somethig you have to consider carefully and also not be swayed by family opinions either or those on this site.

6. cjmclaughlin

cjmclaughlin Registered

Thanks Lesley...I'm leaning towards not taking it.

7. Pink Pearl

Pink Pearl Registered

Hi Cjm, I would not change or add in anything until you run it by your rheumy. That includes the diet you are supposed to follow. Lesley has it right that you are dealing with two different concepts to treat you. They aren't always the same approach and can at times be detrimental to each other. The goal needs to be your well being and health. You need to decide with your rheumy what is harmonious and what isn't. Then decide which concept you are most comfortable with. Your health gains are the ultimate goal.
    Sally