Seeing other member names who are online | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Seeing other member names who are online

Discussion in 'Tech and test' started by Ann2, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Ann2

Ann2 Registered

I can no longer see the names of other forum members who are online, only how many.

2. keebler

keebler Moderator

Click on member button. A window should drop down and then click on current members. You should be able to see who is on.
    Hope this helps,
    Lyn

3. Ann2

Ann2 Registered

Thank you Lyn. What does it mean where it says in who is online so any members, so many guests and so many robots! :eek: The mind boggles!

Eileen T likes this.
  4. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

Also when you're on the forum main page where the different sections are listed, look to the right and there's a box with a heading 'members online now' which says who is currently online. Thank you for your information, Lyn, I hadn't found the place you refer to....I'm learning all the time!

5. keebler

keebler Moderator

You are welcome Jess. I didn't see the place you referred to.
    Im still learning too. :)

6. Ann2

Ann2 Registered

Oh dear! Lost it again. No little box on the right with members names online. And where was the button saying member please ? Got the one saying members but it is listing notable members!
    Thanks in anticipation!

7. Ann2

Ann2 Registered

PS. only seeing Forum Statistics to the right on main page. Thanks.

8. debatat

debatat Moderator

To my knowledge this new forum doesn't tell you who else is online, someone else more tech savvy may come and correct me. This may be for privacy. However if you go into the shoutbox, it will tell you who is online, however then you also in the chat room!!!!

9. Ann2

Ann2 Registered

I did manage to do it before when Lyn advised me, but think I am doing something wrong :(

10. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

Hello again Ann,

If you go to the tabs at the top of the page there are these options - home, forums, shoutbox, members, lupus site home:
    1. Click on members
    2. Choose current visitors then scroll down (these options will be there - everyone, members, guests, robots)
    3. Click on members and it will show you who is doing what.
    I hope this helps :thumbsup:

11. Ann2

Ann2 Registered

Thank you Jessica, this does help. It is very different to how I remember it, as members names who were online used to appear at the bottom so you knew immediately who was online with you. Maybe you can explain, who are the guests and robots! Understand who the guests are (people who haven't joined the board) but robots have me baffled:eek: do the non joiners have full access to the forums, or limited? Sorry, but just wondered, and adapting to new layout. Many thanks for taking the time to explain.
    Best wishes
    Ann xx

12. keebler

keebler Moderator

Places like google ( & other things) put out robots that are always on the internet looking over everything.
    That is how I understand them. Hopefully someone will come and explain it better than I did.
    Take care,
    Lyn

13. Ann2

Ann2 Registered

Thanks Lyn.

14. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

Hi Ann, just as Lyn said :) My husband explained this in simple terms for me as my brain refused to process the information - I couldn't get the image of an actual robot sat at a computer out of my brain!!

He gave me this example - when you use a search engine such as google and type in a term that you're looking for, the lists of websites that come up have been put there by these robots (programmes on computers) that search for information on the internet. So if you created your own website, it wouldn't appear on the list until it had been 'found' by the robots.
    Best wishes,

15. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Yes I just think of it as just the other computers.......simples ;)

16. Ann2

Ann2 Registered

Thank you both

Best wishes
    Ann x