Seeing two docs for SSI | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Seeing two docs for SSI

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by Jennannshear, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Jennannshear

Jennannshear Registered

Hello.. I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.. I enjoyed the season and holiday but I am paying for it now.. Anyway I found out that I have to meet with two doctors through SSI on the 4th.. The first visit is with the doctor about my medical issues and the second is with a “mental health” doctor.. Hmmm, is this the norm? I know I had a few doctors send in my medical records and write in as well.. I also have Complex Partial that they now believe have gone to secondarily generalized seizures.. I meet with my neurologist next week.. The seizure meds along with the prednisone helped but with the toying around with the prednisone my seizures have been worse.. Anyways-any one here have to see two docs for SSI and if so, what was it like? I am trying to prepare for it.. I am honestly a little nervous!

2. KarolH

KarolH Registered

I had to see 3 doctors for SSD, same if it would have been SSI.

*Neurologist
    *Orthopedist
    *Psychiatrist

Your not alone and it is very common to undergo a mental evaluation.

If you have any specific questions, pm me and I will answer as best I can for you. I will share with you my personal experience anyway.:wink2::wink2:

Try not to be too nervous,......it really is the norm.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. sam101360

sam101360 Registered

I saw the same as you...

Relax, you'll do fine, your doctors findings mean more than theirs.

Stephanie

4. debatat

debatat Moderator

Jenna, just wanted to wish you all the best for your evaluations.

:hug:

5. Jennannshear

Jennannshear Registered

Thanks! I will take all the good luck you can offer :rotfl: Think I will just try not to worry about it until I get there.. no sense in freaking out right..? LOL

6. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

I had to see a neuro phyche since I had listed memory problems on my application. The doctor was able to confirm my memory issues and her report was instrumental in my being approved.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

7. Jennannshear

Jennannshear Registered

Well I actually have another app with the nuerologist tomorrow bc my seizures and such are worse. I think I will ask for a letter to take with me for my app on the 4th.

8. Pink Pearl

Pink Pearl Registered

Hi Jenn,
    The one thing I would advise is to be as detailed about the impact of lupus and the ways it makes it impossible or hard to function. Be as verbose as possible. We sometimes feel embarrassed to detail problems, but this is not the time for that. They need to know how much trouble you are having day to day. Include your needs to rest during the day, how hard it is to get around without your ability to drive, your concerns about having problems where you are not easily accessible to medical care. Don't try to hide any problems you are having. List the word problems, your seizures, your migraines, joint problems you are having, muscle neuro issues, all of it. Nothing is off limits. They are there to help you identify the magnitude of your illness.

I had to go to a court hearing for my disability and it was scary. I was lucky that my attorney had all the answers. So, hopefully for you, you will get the approval at this level. Doing these exams can save time in your approval.
    Good luck,
    Sally

9. Jennannshear

Jennannshear Registered

Thanks... I had a convo with my rheumie not too long ago on how I am always quick to answer "good and you?" when asked how I am.. he and talked about it bc as my doctor when he asks how I am, he wants to know.. really know :rotfl: I guess I am getting use to it. I dont like to admit when I am bad.. except to those who already understand.. anyone else I try to spare.. BUT I will go in with everything.. I won't hold back. I was told I should go to therapy but I never did end up going .. and I know I need to talk with someone.. not just on a daily or weekly basis but rather just unleash.. maybe I will unload on this SSI person instead..

10. KarolH

KarolH Registered

YES, Unload on the SSI person and let it all out. I told you the one thing you and I have in common is putting on the happy face, being strong and letting people know we are just fine when inside we are crumbling.

Be Open, really really open and remember what I told you. Keep us posted as the 4th is in a few days and you will be on my mind. Good luck Jenn.:wink2:

Daisy5 likes this.
  11. Jennannshear

Jennannshear Registered

Well its 7am and I called my cab and now have to get my children up and off to school. I am a mess this morning.. which is good right? I am nervous though.. I can not wait for today to be over with.. after my SSI apps I have my physical therapy app which is not much fun. I think I will totally go to bed or watch mytaoped soaps as soon as I get home. I am completely off from the holidays.. ya know. Well I will post after my meeting and let you know how it all went. Wish me luck again LOL

12. greenhaggis

greenhaggis Registered

Good luck...have everything crossed hoping it will help!

13. Jennannshear

Jennannshear Registered

Thank you thank you thank you.. waiting on my cab.. nervous as all heck.

14. Jennannshear

Jennannshear Registered

I am back. Well my DSS can never showed up.. I called at 7am and they said they would be here by 8:30am for my 9am appointment.. 8:40 came and I called and I was met with attitude - I explained that it is my SSI appointment and that I can not be late.. They were nasty. SO I got out my things and cleaned my car off and sadly I got behind the wheel .. I drove there myself. I got there and they wanted me to fill out paper work.. I was frustrated because I am not able to get my words and thoughts together and I explained to her that I already did all this paper work.. But in the end I was told to do my best.. So I tried.. And while writing I was feeling sad and angry.. Then they call me in.. do my height and weight, blood pressure and pulse. I did not want to look at the scales as I already knew I had gained weight.. 20 pounds.. I started to cry.. Then laugh. I was then asked to come in a different office where this man sat in front of a laptop and began asking me questions.. About my mental health.. He asked if I was depressed or suicidal, if I felt angry.. I sat there crying and laughing. I told him I was bitter and angry that I no longer had control in my life. I sat there and said things I was not aware I even felt. He asked me if I feel guilt.. I said of course.. I began telling him about my childhood, adulthood and how I somewhat had control over my symptoms.. And how in February I pushed my body past its point and how I have guilt for that because I have not been the same ever since. I told him I did not want to be here.. At this place applying for SSI because that meant I was weak .. I don’t want to feel weak or to put a glass ceiling over my head… I sobbed. He gave me tissues and told me that everything I was feeling is normal.. And that its ok to feel that way and that if I did not react this way he would be concerned. That made me laugh.. He then asked me some questions.. Like remember these three words.. And then he would tell me other things to repeat.. To add and subtract or say backwards.. Things like that.. Things I did at the Neurologist appointment. Of course it made me frustrated because I wanted to remember them, I just couldn’t and then I would feel stupid for not getting them.. I laughed.. I have always laughed when I was upset or nervous.. It was interesting to me that those habits returned. He then sent me into another room.. Had to undress and sit in a cold room which did wonders on my hands, knees and ankles.. The doctor came in.. was very nice.. Cracked a few jokes. He went through my medical issues.. Asked a few questions but not nearly as much as I thought he would.. In fact the mental health doctor asked more. Then he had me walk across the room.. Tip toes and heals.. I just cried because it was just another thing to remind me of what I can not do.. You know?! Its dehumanizing to have to do things to prove you can not do them.. Its sad really. Then he looked at my before and after pictures of my thyroid and lupus lesions. I had papers from my doctors in the file which I believe will help. THEN he looks at me and says “I should charge you for all those tissues your using.. I would be rich” .. he looked at me and said “we are done and you my dear friend go home and rest” and so I said thanks .. Have a good day and got in my car.. I cried and came home. Now I am on my way back out to my physical therapist.. I thought I needed to do more or say more… I was in and out with in one hour. That’s my story.. I am now left feeling all these emotions I would much rather have not brought to the surface. To add to this.. I just walked in from PT and I am emotionally and physically hurting. I realized that I find the system royally messed up.. how can someone expect you to "prove" your illness in less then an hours time? Do they really think they can make a decision such as this based on one hour of someones life??? Random thought.. Anyways to edit my post I typed in adding more to my reason and then hit save with out writing.. had to click edit again.. this time, mental fart!

Daisy5 likes this.
  15. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Hi Jenna,

A late cab on such an important day would have had me saying some choice words for sure. It is a good thing you had your own car or you would have been late. Being late would not have looked good at all.

The system is crazy. Your doctor should be the one to decide if you can work or not. I guess we have all the frauds to thank for the system we have now. At least the appointment is behind you. Try to get some rest.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

16. KarolH

KarolH Registered

Sounds like things went ok and I am glad it is behind you. Get some rest and keep us informed.

17. Jennannshear

Jennannshear Registered

I just have a question.. how long does it take to get your answer after you have done all your paper work and seen their doctors?

18. KarolH

KarolH Registered

For me I had a answer in about 3 weeks yet every case is different.
    Keep us posted.

19. Jennannshear

Jennannshear Registered

Well I called the toll free number to inquire.. bc the site said a decision had been made and I would receive it through mail.. but they said that I would know, no later then the 30th of Jan... Its just the waiting game now I guess.

20. KarolH

KarolH Registered

This is what the site told me too.......and I was approved.
    I am so excited for you but let's not get hopes up yet.
    I think this is a good thing Jenn,.....fingers crossed.
    Keep us posted.