Sifalimumab Drug Trial | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Sifalimumab Drug Trial

Discussion in 'Lupus News, Awareness and Research' started by x_claire_x, Mar 19, 2012.

1. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Hello everybody..just a quick note to let you know I have been invited to trial this drug; from an American Company.

I seem to fit the criteria and Lupus is causing havoc with my muscles, causing my Rheumy alot of concern. Running out of options so am going for it.

The trial is titled : A Phase llB dose ranging study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of Sifalimumab in Adults with SLE.
    Its a monoclonal antibody that is given IV..its a protein made in the Lab but can act in the body like naturally occurring antibodies, seemingly to mop up inflammation from interferon alpha cells (if I understand correctly..but will find out more in due course as not been informed of alot yet..)

It lasts 15 mths and I am about to go for CT scans this week prior to launching into it.....:rolleyes:

I have a 25% chance of receiving the placebo and then the doses vary every 25%. I just hope that it helps somebody along the line if not me.....there are currently 8 hospitals in the UK trialling and my hospital is one of them.

Wondered if anybody else here is doing this and if so how its going?

I will keep you posted xx

2. greenhaggis

greenhaggis Registered

Good luck with this...I think I have heard of others that are starting on some trials on sure if it is same as yours (not sure if they are members on this site :) ).

3. Fiona30ni

Fiona30ni Registered

Hi Claire just wondering if there is any over here in n.ireland as I would be willing to do a trial

4. keebler

keebler Moderator

:luck: with the trial, Claire.
    It gives us hope that there are new meds on the horizon to treat lupus.

5. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Hello Fiona... I am not sure, if you google the drug there is quite alot of info on the trial and i found a site that told you which hospitals are participating and what the criteria is as it is quite extensive.

I just hope these different trials are showing that drug companies are at last trying to develop some help for us Luppies.

Thanks everyone else for the encouragement...will let you know how it goes xxx

6. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Hello everybody.. a quick update as I finally go in about half an hour for the testing for this trial to see if i qualify....as nervous as if i was entering the Olympics..:lol:...then in two weeks second round and I hope an answer after that.

Lets hope this is a step forward for everybody..one can only hope! X

7. Polly.coggs

Polly.coggs Registered

Hi Claire

Just want to wish you lots of luck today.

8. greenhaggis

greenhaggis Registered

Will be thinking of you Claire.... good luck:luck:

9. dmarie

dmarie Registered

I hope all goes well for you!

dmarie

:grouphug2:

10. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

:fingers: Claire.

:flower2:
    Lazylegs

11. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Thanks everybody... I had four hours at the hospital; alot of paperwork with the Consultant..15 vials of blood (my record to date!!)..ECG, BP was a little high, quelle surprise! weight, height etc

The bloods go to Geneva so will take a while to get them back...may not need to go back in two weeks as done most of it today hopefully, it depends on whether the drug company require more information. I have a 50/50 chance of being accepted; they are using very strict criteria but I should know in 28 days. So now its just a waiting and hoping game....I appreciate your lovely wishes..thanks xx

12. debatat

debatat Moderator

Wow Claire, your blood goes to Geneva, you are important!!!!! :lol: Seriously though I hope you get through and it goes well for you!!

13. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

Sorry for being late to wish you well with this today; I'm glad you've survived parting with 15 vials of blood - think I'd have been on the floor by number 6. Well done and thank you on behalf of all Lupies for doing your bit to help.

Now eat loads of chocolate as I've heard it replaces blood well....or did I accidentally make that up?!

14. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

The nurses did dump a tin load of chocolate biscuits on my bed with orders not to move until at least three had been consumed..:lol: can't argue with that!!
    I wish it was me going to Geneva...I drove to get a friend following her vein surgery after my stint and then got dragged off for lunch by my husband to tell him all about it..and a lady slumped unconscious on her chair; her elderly visually impaired dining companions very concerned but unable to see her well enough to know what to do!!! so I called an ambulance and dealt with her and them with my hubby.. a very eventful day!! Feel pretty tired tonight so early night for me..not sure if this is all a good or bad omen!! :rolleyes:
    Will let you know when I do whether I got onto this trial...thanks everybody x

15. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Just an update to let you know after all those tests I have made it onto the trial...YAY. Now I just hope I don't get the placebo and that it works as I ache like an ancient old crone today! First infusion on Monday.

16. debatat

debatat Moderator

Wishing you well Claire.

17. ElephantEyes

ElephantEyes Registered

YAY! How exciting! I'll stay tuned for the updates ....

18. greenhaggis

greenhaggis Registered

Good luck with infussion on Monday and keeping fingers crossed you get the real stuff :)

19. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Me too Lesley..and wishing even more that it makes a difference. :lol:

20. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Good luck Claire. Did they say how long the infusion would take?

Take care,
    Lazylegs