some advice please... | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

some advice please...

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by TracyJN, Apr 14, 2010.

1. TracyJN

TracyJN Registered

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone can help me. I currently work full time but am really struggling with this and would like to reduce my hours if possible (I don't want to give up work altogether). I currently get DLA (lower care rate, higher mobility rate) is there any more financial help I can get if I reduce my working hours?

2. KarolH

KarolH Registered

Tracy I am in the USA so I am no help to you.
    I hope others come along to send some good advice to you.
    xx oo

3. TracyJN

TracyJN Registered

Thanks Karol x

4. jellyjazz

jellyjazz JellyJazz

Hi Tracy,

I have middle care and high DLA and work part time. I am unable to get anymore financial assistance which is hard but my health is better this way than it was before (i trialed a full time working week for a few weeks and ended up bed ridden). Now i can work about 6 hours a week (I have severe fatigue issues though).

The help that i did apply for was help for paying for my medcines (still waiting to hear from them)
    ESA (i think its called this now) where your illness affects your ability to work - i do not qualify as i earn "too much" even on 6 hours a week...go figure!

I htink there was something else too but i forget (brain fog right now). But all of these benefits are available at the .gov website.

Hope this was some help to you.

5. TracyJN

TracyJN Registered

Hi JellyJazz,

Thanks for the reply. Since posting this I have made a few more enquiries and have discovered if I can work 16 hours a week I will get tax credits. I went back to work today after the Easter break and I feel so awful again tonight so have made the decision to cut my hours down to 16 a week and see how that goes.

Unfortunately I can't put this into practice yet as my boss is stuck in South Africa due to volcanic ash!!!

Thanks again for your advice :)