Special UV Blocking Clothes ? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Special UV Blocking Clothes ?

Discussion in 'Living with lupus' started by Blewyn, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Blewyn

Blewyn New Member

Hi folks !

Can you recommend the best brand of UV blocking clothes ? My wife has discoid lupus.

Thanks !

2. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

The two I have used are Solumbra and Coolibar. In the past the lighter color clothing has come with a warning that it might not be as effective but I have not had a problem. You may want to take that into consideration if you order anything though.

3. Surferboy

Surferboy Registered

I don't know how true this is, but my nephrologist and rhuematolgist have both told me that simple tight weaved cotton clothing that covers the skin should be enough to protect from UV rays. What do you guys think?

4. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

It depends on the time of the year for me. In the summer it can take 2 layers for me not to react. That second layer makes me warmer and the UV protected clothes are lighter and many have vents so I am cooler. We are all different so you have to decide what is best for you.

5. MissDaisy 1

MissDaisy 1 Member

Coolibar tends to provide a bit more fashionable clothing that is not as cool. I think the workmanship isn't as good as Solumbra. Solumbra on the other hand bas cooler clothing that's a bit better made but not as fashionable. For me I typically wear Solumbra clothing as I need to have clothing that keeps me cool. During summer it can easily reach 110 degrees here.

6. Robin Jackson

Robin Jackson Member

You can also purchase a product called Sunguard which washes in SPF 30 into your regular clothing. About $3 per box and lasts through several washes.