SSD Hearing Feb 23rd | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

SSD Hearing Feb 23rd

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by Billy Bob, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Bill

I have finally made it to the point of my SSD hearing with a new disability judge here in Florida:). I am so nervous about this whole thing. I'm sick as a dog and I have to prove I'm too sick to work. You fight this thing for months and it all depends it seams on the judges opinion. All I can do is pray he is fair and looks at all the medical records......Wish me luck and if anyone has any suggestions or experience going throught this please let me know! :sad:

2. keebler

keebler Moderator

Hi Bob,

Sending you some :goodvibes: and :fingers: for you.

:luck:
    Lyn

3. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Good luck with your hearing.

You need to impress on the judge how Lupus affects your daily life. It will help if you make of list of things ahead of time or your mind will just go blank. I had a hard time coming up with things at first when I applied until my husband sat down with me and said to start at the top. How does the disease affect my head - migraines, dizziness, vertigo, rashes, mouth and nose sores, sun sensitivity and so on. Then move on to the next body part say the arms - can't lift anything over 5 pounds, lifting overhead makes me dizzy, tendonitis, joint pain, can't open jars, weakness makes me drop things, osteoarthritis and tremors make it difficult to type and on and on. I think you get the idea. The judge is looking to see if you can perform any form of work (such as desk work) not just in your field of expertise.

The judge also needs to see that any employer would find you unreliable due to missing work for appointments and when you just can't manage to drag your self in one more day. They have the information in front of them but it helps to remind them. If by any chance you have anything in writing such as a review or counseling about absences from work they will work in your favor.

They also want to know how medications you take may affect your performance or if your immune system is suppressed. So a list of your side effects to have handy might help.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

4. mt2167

mt2167 Registered

wishing you the best of luck William hope all goes well
    regards martin

5. Maia

Maia Registered

Do you have a lawyer or a representative? Personally, I think they play the most important role because they will compile all your medical records turning them into exhibits and will really do most of the work for you; including arguing the case.

For me, my court date was a breeze. My lawyer went through some things with the judge, and then the judge asked me some questions, and I was told he was approving it before I left the courtroom and he seemed disgusted that it had to go to him in order to get approved. It went really quick, couldn't have been more than 15 minutes.

Good luck to you and hope things go just as well for you.

6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Bill

Thanks Maia I do hope that is the case. Unfortunately I hear he is a new judge to the system so I hope you are right. I was and am upset it has had to go this far as well. You would think with all the medical files and problems I have would have made it clear but I am just glad to finally get it over with.

7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Bill

Thanks Lazylegs I will make a list because your right with all you go through it is hard to explain and get everything you need to say told without forgetting important thing that need to be said! Thanks again!

8. jetster

jetster Registered Users

I hope the result is favorable Billy Bob! Good luck!

...jETSter

9. KarolH

KarolH Registered

Good Luck Billy Bob.

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Bill

Thank you all for your well wishes. I do have a lawyer to represent me and everything is ready as I can get it. I'm still going to doctors and have two more doctor visits before the hearing, my rhem and nephroligist docs. I have not been sleeping because of sever pain in my neck, shoulders and elbows. I saw a VA pain doc on Tuesday and he increase my morphine to 30mg two times a day and gave me a bunch of shots in my shoulders and neck till I couldn't take it. I hate shots.....He also sugested I get some melatonin also. So I did that and I slept for 12 hours and woke up feeling a lot better than normal. Well I was up most of the night again last night. My sleep is messed up and my wife snores......ha....really bad to.....I even record her and play it to our grandsons and her too....HA.... She says it's pay back for me..... I snore bad some times too. So I finally fell aslleep on the couch this morning around 5:00 am. That didn't help my neck much..... Maybe its all the stress from worring about the hearing..... Oh well just another thing to deal with along with really horrible migraines that thankfully I didn't have last night. I will let everybody know how it comes out. I don't post much as I don't really feel like it much......or anything else for that matter :-(

11. Pink Pearl

Pink Pearl Registered

Good luck Bill. I hope you have as good as a result as I did. I lucked out that the judge who heard my case was the father of a new medical school graduate. With my approval, he took my file home to her and I had my approval before the weekend! So, I hope you get as supportive and willing to understand, judge as I did.
    Sally

12. debatat

debatat Moderator

Just wanted to wish you wll for your hearing!!!! I hope you get a favourable outcome.

13. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Bill

Thanks Sally and Deb! I am holding my breath as my Lawyer says he is a new judge to the system:worried: All I can do is hope he is a fair just judge!!:fingers:

Bill

14. cllemaster

cllemaster Registered

Bill I just recently went through one of these hearings. Be sure that you are very specific about how your symptoms affect each specific part of your body. Do not be vague. But make sure you only answer the questions that you are asked do not offer any information that is not asked or relivant. My hearing took 10 minutes. I am not disabled because of my lupus but for other health issues. Took me 2 years to get to the point of the hearing and received 3 denials before the hearing. If you have a good attorney, that makes all the difference in the world also because in alot of cases the judge will ask an independent occupational therapist to review your case and advise him if he/she feels that there is any full time work that you would be capeable of performing. Good Luck, I hope all works out positively for you.

Christy

15. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Bill

Christy,

They DO have an occupational sort coming to testify. I'm really nervous. Its sooo degrading to have to PROVE your too sick when they have a pile of medical records in from of them and it is clearly listed in the SSD guide lines that lupus with two or more organs affected is grounds to be approved. It makes me mad:mad: Its like no one beleives you unless your dead:eek::mad::mad:

Still hoping though:fingers:

Thanks Christy:)

Bill

16. Jennannshear

Jennannshear Registered

Just wanted to wish you good luck. I am praying it all goes in your favor. There is nothing more upsetting then having to prove to a human being - no different then any other person - that you deserve this.. I know. I threw some prayers and light your way and asked that this judge be fair - understanding and so forth. I just had my judge meet in Jan. It was about 15 minutes long.. I had no clue it would go so fast and I remember walking out crying bc I was not sure if I had said everything. I will tell you that I was approved and in the judge statement he said that he felt I was honest - I did tell him how I wanted to work and how I am angry that my body fails me.. I told him I have good days but that they never last.. he actually said those honest words helped me get approved. I know not all judges are the same but all you can do is be honest and be yourself.. I really do wish you all the best! Keep us updated on what happens.

Jen

17. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Bill

Thanks Jen:) for you nice words and prayers.I need all I can get!! Your right about honesty and I too want to work if I could so I will be honest and hopefully he will see this.

And I'll tell everybody how it goes!

Bill

18. mt2167

mt2167 Registered

hope all went well for you today Bill thinking of you

19. KarolH

KarolH Registered

I thought of you a lot today Bill.
    How did everything go for you?
    Any decisions yet?

20. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Bill

Woooooo hooooooh

Hey Karol,

Sorry I didn't get on here sooner. As soon as I got home I laid on the couch and just woke up... It went great. The hearing only lasted about 10 minutes. The jugde started by having my lawyer speak and basically run down all the grounds of my case claim and the medical evidence. He then talked to me and ask me my job history the last 15 years and my military experience and whether I had an honerable discharge. I explained about my medical discharge because of the accident with my eye. He then asked me all my symptoms and I ran that all down. Then he asked the vocational expert if there were any jobs I could do with my education and back ground and he said yes and listed off a bunch of jobs he thought I was qualified to do.... Then the judge asked him in his opionion if he thought based on my conditions if he thought I could do those jobs and the vocational expert said NO :):). As soon as he said that the judge said well thats all we need to do here and adjorned the hearing.

My lawyer then took me to a room and we sat down and she said see was sure he would judge in my favor as the hearing would have went a lot longer and that cutting it short and based on what the vocational expert said that I won my claim!!!!:hehe::excited::excited::jump::cheer2:

I am soooo glad it is all over and I can try to get my life going now as best I can. Now I just gotta figure out whats going on with this last flare or what ever I'm having right now and get it in control8)

Thanks for all the prayers and encouragement