Sun Sense prescriptions in UK | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Sun Sense prescriptions in UK

Discussion in 'Medications' started by Surferboy, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Surferboy

Surferboy Registered

Guys, the time is here again for sunblock. Unfortunately Ive been told that GP's in the UK no longer prescribe Sun Sense. Has anyone else been advised of this?

I've been told I'll need to buy it over the counter from now. :eek:

2. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Hiya... I have just got my facial one via prescription and the my GP prescribed the body one last year...… that will be interesting ! It may be cheaper to buy online otherwise.

3. I hv always bought my High Sun UV protection and hv have always looked out for offers in Boots , Superdrug or any Chemust which are very useful as the Summer is near. You can get small carry on pocket size ones quite cheaply now with UV 50 and they last for ages unless you plaster yourself loads like wallpaper paste . Sorry its getting late here my brain is getting alittle mush of humour could not help it....

4. Surferboy

Surferboy Registered

I got my last batch of Sunsense on prescription last year too, but this year it seems the NHS has put a stop across the board on sun creams on prescription.

https://www.lupusuk.org.uk/sunscreen-prescriptions-review/ Since this article, it seems the NHS has put a stop to sun blocks altogether. I'll be getting confirmation on this when I go for my next infusion next week.

I just went and bought Boots' own brand factor 50 last week as couldn't find Sunsense anywhere. Has anyone uses this?

5. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

I got sunsense online before I got it on prescription. I def got the facial one on prescription two weeks ago though :0)

6. Surferboy

Surferboy Registered

That's really strange! It seems some GP's are still prescribing and some aren't.

I contacted my Consultant who at a stretch prescribed me a new brand called Uvistat. Never heard of this brand, but it is factor 50. I looked at the prescription, and on there is said it should have been a brand called Helio Factor 50. Again, never heard of that brand either!

For now I think I'll stick to Soltan until I get confirmation from my nephro this week about the Uvistat and Helio. Has anyone had experience with Soltan?

7. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Sad to say...we have ! Our children burnt using the boots own brand Soltan high factor, though to be fair it was many years ago...would never trust it again ! ... be careful Surferboy… My next port of call would be puiz buin, but I know some people are allergic to it ! The other one I fell foul of and had a huge flare was l'oreal factor 50... and I got very ill. Try and find Sunsense online, I have never had a problem with that brand thankfully . Best wishes...Claire

Surferboy likes this.
  8. I hv used Garnier or Nivea kids factor 50. Both seems to hv been ok for me.
    You can get small tubes now to buy for travel purposes if u want to test it out to see if they are any good think they are 50 - 100 ml size try out to buy(travel size) . Most places you can get them. I use them for travelling as they are convenient for me frequent traveller out at the moment.
    https://www.boots.com/ambre-solaire...3v17E7VJxLVju4b958tKbkqfQc0kpRyQaAraWEALw_wcB

They are alittle expensive but at lease this is atry out instead of u spending a whole load of money and then finding out that it doesnt suit you.

My last try was Aldi's Factor 50 that was ok. No adverse effects ,hv to keeping topping up that was last year.

Hope you manage to find something suitable for yourself.

Sheela

Surferboy likes this.
  9. Surferboy

Surferboy Registered

10. Surferboy

Surferboy Registered

Guys, has anyone used The Suncare Shop in the UK to get their sun cream? They have Sunsense 500ml for £20 which is by far the cheapest anywhere. I can no longer get it - or any other sun cream on the NHS.

11. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

I used to use Uvistat before I used sunsense. The cream I had was thicker than sunsense so you have to remember that a little goes a very long way. I'd heard that suncream would no longer be available on prescription but I can still get it and so can my sister. I wonder if it'll only be a matter of time before we can't?

Surferboy likes this.
  12. Surferboy

Surferboy Registered

Oh yes. Uvistat most definitely is thick. It's what I'm currently using and absolutely hate it.

So should I use less of it than sunsense? How much did you apply to your face? I look like an absolute grease ball at times :oops:

13. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

Well you'll love this.....when I was diagnosed with photosensitivity the nurses who went through the various things I could do to help said that sunscreen should never be rubbed in and should just be applied to the skin. I just found Uvistat too difficult to use, you have to give it a good rub just to move the stuff around and I think that you're more likely not to have a proper coverage because it's not easy to apply.

I once passed the tube to my friend's teenage son to use and he unwittingly squeezed a palm full and rubbed it with both hands on to his face before I realised. You can imagine the sight....I'm sure 15 years on it's still on his face:roflmao:

Less is more but don't scrimp or you won't be covered properly. I know that sounds like a contradiction but my advice would just be to go with a lotion rather than cream.
    Jess.

14. Surferboy

Surferboy Registered

Oh! I've always rubbed the sunblock into the skin. So we should only apply it loosely on the skin?

I have this weird thing going on where I have dry eczema skin BUT as the day goes on my skin naturally becomes greasy AND that's WITHOUT any sunblock on!!! I'm forever sneakily patting off the oily skin! :oops:

15. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

That's what the nurse told me, wipe it on not rub it in. She did admit that not many people favour the cricketer look though:lol:

16. Surferboy

Surferboy Registered

“The cricketer look” :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I must admit, when on the beach in the searing sun with UV rays pounding down on me, I do go for the cricketer look - both in jest to make my girls laugh and also for that little more facial protection.

Jessica1 likes this.
  17. Surferboy

Surferboy Registered

Guys has anyone ever bought sunsense from Amazon? If so, was it the original stuff?

Sunsense Ultra at my local chemist is £11 for a 125ml bottle. But on amazon I can buy a 500ml bottle for £23.

18. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Hiya.. I have done so in the past. It was the real deal then, so hopefully it will be ok surferboy :0)

Surferboy likes this.
  19. Surferboy

Surferboy Registered

Thanks Claire.

I'm a bit peeved that the NHS has stopped prescribing suncream. Not so much because of me having to pay for it, but due to the fact that suncream is a preventative measure for flareups. And folk who may find it difficult paying for effective suncream, which tends to cost more, may buy cheaper options which could make their condition worse.

20. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

Hi Surferboy,

I really think you should challenge this with your GP as Lupus has sun sensitivity in the criteria and I'm told that there is a lack of understanding around the 'new' rules. As you know I still get mine on prescription, as does my sister!
    Best wishes,
    Jess.

Surferboy likes this.