Swimming and Scalp Rash | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Swimming and Scalp Rash

Discussion in 'Looking Good, Feeling Better' started by C Suitor, Aug 6, 2015.

1. C Suitor

C Suitor New Member

I am looking for exercise that doesn't leave me totally sore and out of commission for a week. I am hoping swimming will workout, but when I tried, the rash on my scalp was super itchy and burning for several days afterwards. I was wearing a swim cap at the time and washed my hair after swimming. Anyone else experienced this? Have tips?

2. keebler

keebler Moderator

Hi C Suitor and welcome to the lupus site.

Do you have discoid lupus?
    I haven't experienced this. Do you see a dermatologist? Perhaps he could be of some help.
    Hopefully one of our members who have discoid lupus will come along and post to you.

In the mean time have a look around the home page of this forum.

https://www.thelupussite.com/

Take care,
    Lyn

3. Stormee

Stormee Member

Hello C Suitor
    Discoid Lupus was full blown for me when I was initially diagnosed...aside from all os other characteristics of DL was a sever scalp rash that produce major discomfort. The itch and burning was present also ulcers and hair loss so severe that bald spots started appearing...I am not trying to frighten you but to enlighten you that, that is where my itchy scalp lead to...I saw a Dermatologist who prescribed me a shampoo with Tar. That helped some but the real help came after I began treatment for my SLE. I too agree that maybe you should see a Dermatologist. For a exercise that is not so cruel to me is riding my Recumbent Bike. You are in controll because you get to sit back and relax, set how fast you go, set the tension and the distance. On my good days i can get a book and ride up to 12 miles. I hope u get some relief soon.
    Storm:)

4. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Hiya... just to say I have taken up Horse Riding again in the last year and love it.... it strengthens my weakened leg muscles, strengthens my core, sorts out my posture and gives me a workout without using hard pressure on joints etc.... I thought I would be exhausted and it is true that half hour lesson is enough...a hack out can be more leisurely....but the exhilaration I feel when we are cantering up a hill not that I have progressed is pure magic :0) It has changed a bit since I was a youngster and so even learning new techniques is brilliant.

Aerobics, tennis, yoga and Pilates are all more stressful on my joints than riding....and I walk the dogs twice a day too..though more a plod now that one is 10 ....I hope you find something that helps you workout a bit, but more so, one that you love and enjoy...that makes you feel normal for a while... it is so healing for me to ride.....but I do realise it isn't everybody's cup of tea.

hope the dermy can help with your scalp discomfort too... I too think that will settle the most when your symptoms are calmer............................Claire