Taming the skin effects of lupus | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Taming the skin effects of lupus

Discussion in 'Symptoms' started by Starswirl7, Sep 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Starswirl7

Starswirl7 New Member

I'm newly diagnosed and still trying to get a handle on things. Despite wearing sun protection, my skin has been highly problematic in terms of being painfully dry, old-looking, and breaking out into a Sunburn-like rash.

1) What do you find most effective for handling photosensitivity? I know to try to stay out of the sun, wear SPF and a sun hat, etc., but are there extra steps anyone has found helpful (e.g., like supplements that are supposed to boost UV protection, special UV protective clothing, etc.)?

2) Has anyone else felt like something about the inflammation and photosensitivity has aged their skin really rapidly? I feel like my skin has aged five years in the last 6 months leading up to my diagnosis, and while this is admittedly a superficial issue that pales in comparison to a lot of grittier concerns, I still don't like looking so old and tired in the mirror.

2a) What anti-aging topicals are safe/beneficial vs. best avoided for those of us with lupus (e.g., Vitamin C, Retin-A, etc.)?

2b) Not that I will resort to any of these, but simply out of curiosity (and to help me understand how this condition affects what skin can vs. can't take), which of these anti-aging techniques are thought to be okay vs. inadvisable for people with lupus and why?
    Laser
    LED
    Microcurrent
    Microdermabrasion
    Radiofrequency
    Ultrasound

2. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Welcome to the site Starswirl17.

Your questions would be best suited for a dermatologist known for working with Lupus patients. Personally I use a good sunscreen with a high SPF and a good moisturizing cream. When planning on being out in the sun I wear sunscreen clothing.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

3. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

Hi Starswirl7
    Personally I wouldn't consider any of those procedures even though I'd love to have the skin of a 20 year old again! It's hard to know what might trigger a flare and for the risk of cosmetic benefits, unless your Rheumy is happy for you to do it, I'd suggest you be cautious.

I am photosensitive and as well as using suncream daily and avoiding sun exposure I have to avoid artificial light which actually affects me more than sunlight. I react to computer screens so have to have a UV filter screen at work and can't have the office lights on, we have uplighters at home as the only bulbs that don't make me ill really quickly are the old style which aren't made any more. I have had my car windows fitted with UV shield film which has helped although I now find that headlights and road lamps make me feel woozy and fizzy (can't really describe it any better!).

I have recently started slapping on antiageing cream but fear this might be shutting the gate after the horse has bolted:lol: Anyway, I've figured that I don't have to look at my face but I do have to feel aches and pains so I know which I'd rather put up with.

Best wishes,

wolf1 likes this.
  4. sheilakdavis

sheilakdavis sheila

I have found soap made out of goats milk works wonders on my skin. I have lupus and sjogrens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

I use products that are as natural as possible and don't use drying things like detergents found in shower gels , shampoos etc.....