taxes | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

taxes

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by marys, Jan 25, 2008.

1. marys

marys Registered

Can anyone tell me what happens when you get your backpay do you have to pay back your federal taxes all at once.Because I got backpay for 1 1/2 years without any taxes taken out.I'm not sure what happens.

Thanks,
    Mary

2. audigg1

audigg1 Guest

Mary,

You really should speak to a task consultant. I didn't have retroactive benefits, but because of our family income, all my SSDI is taxed.

audi

3. Tom

Tom Old Timer

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin...3RleHQ9YmFja3BheSB0YXhlcw**&p_li=&p_topview=1

Backpay is income and income is taxable. It all depends where you fall with your total yearly income, you will get a W-2. I couldn't find it but I believe only 50% of your disability income is taxable (Maximum). It says most don't pay anything. :rolleyes:

4. macfamily53

macfamily53 Registered

Mary

I am on ssdi for about 3 in and half years now and so far have not had to pay in even a little bit,but not sure why not.Hubby takes care of getting the information to our tax guys and somehow we fall into this category where we do not have to pay in.I think it will help you to read the article Tom has posted for you.Good luck and i sure hope you do not have to pay in.

Tammy

5. dudley

dudley Registered

SSDI is concidered as income. Depending on the amout of back pay and your marital status you may have to pay income tax on it. It really depends on the above.

Elaine

6. raggedyann1

raggedyann1 Registered

When you receive backpay covering more than one calendar year you have some options. First of all the 1099 you receive from Social Security will have the income broken into calendar years. There is also information that comes with the form or is on the form about how to deal with preparing your income tax return. If the total amount puts you in a different tax bracket then it is worth doing the extra work required. We had such large deductions that it didn't make any difference.

Take care,
    Karen