Teeth | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Teeth

Discussion in 'Symptoms' started by dumplie, Apr 11, 2017.

1. dumplie

dumplie Registered

Hi there,
    Haven't been on here for a while so I hope that I post this in the correct section. I was diagnosed with SLE 20 years ago and also have other auto-immune illnesses such as Raynaud's and Fibromyalgia. The problem that I am having is with my teeth. I know it sounds a small issue, but I have receeding gums and the bone in my jaw is now down to 20%. I am 50 and have been told that I may have to have dentures as they are unable to save any of my teeth. They have said that this is due to the Sjorgrens and the fact that I am on long term steroids (5mg of Prednisolone a day). I am also a type 1 diabetic so the steroids are not a good mtach for me. I really hope that someone can offer some advice or guidance to me as my teeth are literally breaking up. Does anyone else have this issue and what are they doing about it? Many thanks to you all.....Janine

2. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Hi Janine,

Sorry to see you are having a problem with your teeth. Both dry mouth and some medications can cause damage to the teeth. Dry mouth can be helped with special toothpastes, mouthwashes, and gels. Basically products with xylitol will increase saliva production. Gastric reflux can also cause problems. The acid erodes the enamel so if this is a problem of yours getting it in check may help. The damage may already be done but extra care may give them a bit more life.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

3. keebler

keebler Moderator

Hi Janine,
    I have dentures. I had so much trouble with my teeth.
    It is the best thing I have ever done, was to get dentures.
    Take care,
    Lyn

4. Jennannshear

Jennannshear Registered

I have teeth issues too. It's not a small issue, at least for me. I have had several teeth removed, three crumbling. . one tooth is turning blood (front fang). I am sadly stuck. Can't afford a root canal. Sorry you're experiencing all this. Wish I had answers. I do how ever use doTERRA ongaurd tooth paste and it helps me. Or at least I think it does..