Test Results | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Test Results

Discussion in 'Tests and Procedures' started by Sophieschoice, May 25, 2018.

1. Sophieschoice

Sophieschoice New Member

Hi Everyone

I have now been to my second Rheumatologist as the first one was not helpful and told me that I do not have an autoimmune disorder even though I tested positive for autoimmune disorder. The second Rheumatologist was great. He did a full exam and gave me requisitions for a bunch of blood work, xrays, MRI and thyroid ultrasound. I have now gotten back some of the blood results. My previous blood tests from the first Rheumatologist showed that I was ANA positive at 1:160 titre with a speckled pattern. I also tested low positive for scl-70 at 1.3. everything else was within normal ranges. The most recent blood tests came back ANA negative but still positive for Scl-70. I also have high levels of leukocytes in my urine and my ALT is high. My question is was the first ANA test a false positive? Or is it possible for ANA to become negative after being positive. The Rheumatologist has started me on Plaquenil. Could that have affected the ANA result? Also, the thyroid ultrasound showed that I have a nodule on the right side, but at this point they are just going to monitor it and I have to have another ultrasound in 6 months.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Brandy McDonald likes this.
  2. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Hiya... I believe some on here have had positive/negative ANA results at times in their disease … hopefully one of them will be able to clarify your question, sounds as if the Rheumy you are now with is taking it seriously which is what you need.....do you have any other symptoms or all blood based ?
    Hope you get some answers soon....Claire

3. Sophieschoice

Sophieschoice New Member

Thank you Claire. The major symptom I had was severe joint pain all over the body and swelling in some joints. I have also suffered with GI issues for years, but recently began having troubles swallowing. I have had 3 Scopes and the last one they strectched the esophagus. I have also recently been getting a rash on my face. The rheumatologist wasn't sure if it was a malar rash or rosacea. I'm being referred to a dermatologist.

4. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Welcome to the site.

The general rule of thumb had been once you have a positive ANA it will stay positive. In fact some doctors did not repeat testing after their patients had multiple positive tests. Recent studies however have shown it is not always the case. Case in point one of my medications wipes out the antibodies so I no longer test positive. Another rheumatologist looking at my tests might conclude I do not have Lupus. I was always positive when taking Plaquenil but we are each different.

The scl-70 might indicate a form of Scleroderma. Crest or the Limited type can affect the esophagus. I had to have mine stretched after having swallowing issues also. Fortunately it was a one time thing for me.

Rashes can be difficult to diagnose. The dermatologist can do a biopsy which may determine the cause. A few of our members have been diagnosed in this manner. Good luck with your upcoming appointment.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

Eileen T likes this.