Thank you for reading (: | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Thank you for reading (:

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by mzxxabby, Mar 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mzxxabby

mzxxabby New Member

Hi!
    I've been recently diagnosed with lupus however I have been experiencing symptoms ever since the beginning of high school. Now that I know that I have this... I'd like some answers from people who have been through college and actually was able to complete it and what degree were you able to complete? I'm halfway through my biology degree but because i'd be constantly sleeping i'd slack off in my studies and I thought I was just lazy so my grades aren't the best... however, now that I know what this is and everything has been puzzled together I don't know how I could tackle everything I am really being in all my studies... Just this year I've been going to school extremely tired (even after a full 6-8 hours of sleep and with coffee) and still sleep in my car and miss all of my classes...I mean organic chemistry alone is a struggle... along with my calculus II other classes... was anyone able to finish such a difficult degree that required many hours of studying... i'd like to take the easier road and just change my degree to something I know i'd be able to handle but I think i'd also be a doctor in the future...I just don't want to regret becoming something knowing it would be possible for me to push myself for more like others did. Is it a possibility with the fatigue and headaches? Thank you for reading my post... :)
    -abby

Lupusdude likes this.
  2. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Hi Abby........you do have a lot of things going on and as you have probably discovered, stress makes everything a whole lot worse.

We do have people on here that have been going through a degree course and the first thing they did was meet up with their tutor to explain how things are for them, often a timetable can be devised and extra support to help you ......it is a good idea to take along a copy of the 'spoon theory' as that explains your energy limitations every day and helps them understand what you are saying.

Have you started treatment? it can take a while to get the mix right and to kick in....but once it does that will help you a lot hopefully. Your body is working very hard...so give it as much kindness as you can....healthy balanced diet, lots of good rest and sleep (if possible !) lots of fluids and fresh air etc. Don't overexercise , VERY gentle yoga or such will be helpful without stressing an already stressed body,

You may need to get working on some strategies to succeed.... and grab as much support and help along the way as you possibly can.

Take care................Claire

Lupusdude likes this.
  3. Lupusdude

Lupusdude Registered

Hello Abby,
    Welcome to the group! I have to say that you have a lot of courage to continue with your schooling. Like Claire stated, your body is working extremely hard already and taking classes (especially those in your major) is a lot of extra stress. I commend you. As for me, I was diagnosed long before college and had a good awareness of my limitations before beginning my degree. That didn't stop me from taking a grueling major, but I soon realized that my illness was going to put a limit on the course difficulty. I did finish college, but with a few breaks and degree changes. I took an easier load and went part time during the final two years. I also had a major flare during my college career. So, even with being prepared mentally, I was still overwhelmed and had to rethink my life goals. It's a very difficult situation. Try to take it slow and enjoy each day.