The sensation of water dripping on my arms and legs?! | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

The sensation of water dripping on my arms and legs?!

Discussion in 'Symptoms' started by Jennannshear, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Jennannshear

Jennannshear Registered

Hello. It is been awhile since I've been on this site. I've since been on several medications - currently taking only methyl prednisone.. I've yet to start the newest med. I'm struggling with itching on my veins, nerve pain, crawling sensations and now what seems to be the sensation of water dripping onto my arms and legs. The neurologist has ordered a brain MRI to rule out MS. So I have two questions... Is it common to get those sensations with lupus? Do people actually have both Lupus and MS? Frustrated. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Jen

2. debatat

debatat Moderator

Hi Jenna, yes you can have Lupus and MS. It isn't common but is possible. What is more common is to have lupus and get neuropathy which can cause symptoms such as these, they are not very pleasant. I hope the neuro can get to the bottom of what is causing them.

3. Jennannshear

Jennannshear Registered

Thank you. I do have numerous symptoms that could fall under neuropathy. I was on methotrexate and had hallucinations of all sorts. Once I ended that med they disappeared. Then I started benlysta. . I began feel much better but it was taking my already low blood pressure, lower and causing my veins in my neck to swell. It also gave me a feeling I was dying. Can't explain it so I was taken off. I have a new script I have yet to start. I've been sick and now have cellulitis so I'm waiting. Maybe the new med will help out. Neurologist is on it all. MRI again Thursday.

4. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Hi Jenna,

It has be awhile. Sorry it is under these circumstances. Good luck with your MRI on Thursday.

The symptoms you describe sound like they all have to do with the nerves, at least that is what they have told me. The water feeling can drive you nuts. Fortunately mine isn't there all the time. I do notice the better the Lupus is the fewer symptoms I experience from the neuropathy.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

5. Jennannshear

Jennannshear Registered

Thank you . . I suppose it's wait and see time.

Now that I know it's a lupus ordeal as well, I'll worry less of another diagnosis to add to all my others!

6. blossom

blossom New Member

Hi Jenna,

The feeling of water dropping - i have experienced it too. feel like water dropping from my head like it was drizzling. But i didn't take it that serious.
    But i think your post alerted me. I will take a doctor's advice regarding it.
    If you found the exact reason kindly share it with me.

Take care,
    Blossom

7. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

Hello again, Jen.
    I used to feel the water on my skin sensation in my early days of diagnosis before my symptoms were under control. I never did see a neuropothist, mine went away once I was on the right balance of medication. It was so annoying though and I was constantly having to ask if it was raining. I hope you get some answers and your tests go ok.

8. Bane

Bane Member

Hello Jenna,

It is possible to have these unpleasant sensations. Neuropathy might not the obvious reason, i wish you luck for the MRI

9. Jennannshear

Jennannshear Registered

I will share my results. The more active I am, the more I have these symptoms.

10. wolf1

wolf1 Registered

Hi
    I have also had this. It could be neuropathy but it also could be, how can I explain.. It's like as if you have a dead leg, the feeling of pins and needles come. I have cold water feeling in my head and I was told it's like as if something has gone numb then the feeling is coming back that's why it's cold.
    So it could be what ever you feel is something has gone numb then the feeling is coming back that's when this running water feeling comes into it.
    I don't know if this helps in anyway
    Take care
    Wolf1

11. Jennannshear

Jennannshear Registered

Had MRI and nerve study. They said I have an empty sella (flat pituitary gland) and thickened skull. The nerves in my legs are good but in my back are very very bad. That is the cause for most issues. He said I have severe arthritis of my lower spine and urged me to not have surgery at this age. Since the benlysta took away those symptoms, to start my new lupus meds and do my best to wait on such a surgery. I'm 38. He said my muscles have (forgot the word) issues and most likely cause for the water sensation?!? Just thought I would share.

12. Jessica1

Jessica1 Moderator

That's really interesting and it's positive that they seem to have identified a reason for it. I hope the new meds work well for you.

13. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Thanks for the update Jenna.

Could the leg term have been myositis or myalgia?

14. Michael Garhart

Michael Garhart New Member

Sometimes when I don't feel well, I get the sensation of warm water lightly running over my thighs. It happens while sitting, and only the face of the thighs. It doesn't hurt, but it is not welcomed.

15. sagehen

sagehen Junior Member

Just want to wish all of you with neuropathy my best wishes. I know it can be very painful. I had it during the early years of having lupus.
    I was put on Neurontin (Gabapentin). It helped me very much.

Summerr1 and Jessica1 like this.
  16. susane

susane Registered

I have had the feeling of water going down my legs years ago. Not so much now, but I am on the Gabapentin. I all the time have it especially later in the day or at night a feeling of intense itching over veins. Not sure what causes it, but I have scratched until I had my skin tore up.

17. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Hi Susane,

It may be you have inflammation in the area causing the itch. When it happens to me I apply lotion. It seems to me the massaging I am giving to my legs is helpful.

18. Soundy

Soundy Registered

I get he sensation of water running down the back of my legs from knees down and also across my upper back.
    Attributed to nephropathy. Like someone else said mine is not painful, just irritating and unwelcome

19. Marty H

Marty H New Member

So strange that I am reading about that water sensation. I have been dealing with this for most of my life. I have recently been diagnosed with RA/Lupus. I am finally getting answers.
    I have also been feeling that weird itching deep in my skin. Its like an itch I cannot scratch.
    But lately, a new thing has been happening. I have been struggling lately to put a sentence together, or simple words. Anyone have a clue what that might be?

20. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Hi Marty,

It is not uncommon for Lupus patients to have some cognitive difficulties from time to time. Mention it to your rheumatologist. Since you have balance and weakness issues it may be time to have a neurology consult.

Take care,
    Lazylegs