todays a bad day esa letter arrived | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

todays a bad day esa letter arrived

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by clare-m, Dec 29, 2011.

1. clare-m

clare-m Registered

today that letter came that i have been dreading, change from i.b to esa. my hearts in my mouth,:eek::eek::eek:
    i dont know where to start,but if it wasnt for this website and the many friends going through the same thing
    im sure i would give up.i have read all the posts an taken your advice, logged all the helpsites and now i must prepare
    to have yet another fight to prove im not a nutcase or hypocondriac. why when lupus makes us all feel so low and ill do
    they find yet another way to punish us. any advice would be gratefully received and as i go through the process anything i learn that will be of use to others i shall post.
    thankyou so much to all on this website for helping me realise im not alone since being dx.
    clare-m

2. KarenM

KarenM Registered

Hi Clare

I have recently gone through this process, read my thread in this area. Information is the key with this process, the more of it you can provide, the better. If you can download all the information fact sheets about various parts of the body from Lupus UK and put those with your application, get consultant and GP letters of support, letters from any carers who help you. What I found useful to remember, is that the Decision Maker reading your application, may not have a clue about Lupus, so the more information you have to supply, the more they can more accurately make a decision that is correct.

Good luck and if you need any help, just ask.

3. clare-m

clare-m Registered

thanx for your reply, have started to collect all the info i can, and i have kept all my letters and correspondance from my lupus nurse jane and dr.hall. its just seems very a very daunting process but like you say the person dealing with it may not know much and to supply them with info is the 1st step. will keep everyone updated and anything i find out i will post as im sure there are lots of us in the same position. thanx again
    clare x

4. KarenM

KarenM Registered

Clare you share the same Consultant as myself, we may have even met. Was at the Cambs Lupus Group meet up at Scotdales a while back, and also attended the Awareness Day.

5. Ooohmekneeshurt

Ooohmekneeshurt Registered

Clare, Its a minefield!!
    I would advise that you take a good look around the Internet, there are some good organisations that help out. I have been through the 'ATOS' system twice for ESA and it was really very difficult and damaging for my health. I know that the forms and the process have been changed slightly, but some of the helpful organisations show you how to complete the process.
    I would also suggest getting any evidence to support you, from doctors and any medical bodies that can help.

Remember, the process, and the point of the benefit is to 'test' about what you can/ cannot do, for which they award you points; you must be honest, but you should also be accurate and let them know how difficult things are.
    Some of the questions are vague, and others ask you about things, but then dont appear to acknowledge them in the points. You will most likely get called for a 'medical' (??) it isnt really a medical, and probably will not be done by anyone experienced in AI/Lupus issues. This is also important because they may say in their report (if you ask for it) something that very wrong. In my report they actually said Pulmonary Fibrosis could be cured within 3 months. I showed that to the Britsh Lung Foundation, and they went ballistic! The DWP didnt even turn up at my Appeal.

DONT be surprised if your first attempt fails, I think this happens with most applications, so you need to appeal if that happens.