Tramadol v Zydol | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Tramadol v Zydol

Discussion in 'Medications' started by LoopyLoo, May 31, 2008.

1. LoopyLoo

LoopyLoo Registered

Hi all,

As many of you know I was prescribed Tramadol by my rheumy for my rib pain just over 2 weeks ago. He wrote me a prescription for Tramadol Hydrochloride which I picked up from the hospital pharmacy - bear with me this is relevant.

After adjusting the dose I found that 50mg 2-3 times a day managed the pain and I could up the dose if needed. My GP wrote me a repeat prescription this week which I picked up from my local pharmacy and it was branded Zydol.

I'm now getting headaches and nausea with this tablet and don't feel it is as effective. I'm taking the double dose (100mg) more often than I'd like. When I went back to the pharmacist to ask her about it she looked at me like I was stark raving bonkers and said it was the same thing with a different name. This much I get but asked if there a chance the composition was slightly different. Again I got a weird look.

So knowledgable people......am I going crazy or could it be the different brand? Any advice is greatly appreciated. :flower2:

Thanks for reading.

Hugz, :hug:

Pam xxx

2. greenhaggis

greenhaggis Registered

Pam,

They are the same drug - but dont they all get mixed with different binding substances and colourings/additives that can give us different side effects or intollerences!

Could be wrong!

Lesley

3. LoopyLoo

LoopyLoo Registered

Hi Greenhaggis - Sorry I should have been clearer in my post. I knew it was the same drug but Tramadol is manufactured under many different names and I did wonder if there any differences during processing as some members here have reported reactions to brand opposed to generic drugs in the past.

The pharmacist advised me to speak to my GP about it but I kinda feel a bit silly. :hehe:

4. greenhaggis

greenhaggis Registered

Don't need to apologise!

Just wish you were feeling better - have you thought that perhaps your pains are getting worse and some added symptoms!

Could you check the batch number out with supplier to make sure they had no problems with the manufacturing of this particular batch as it does not seem strong enough! Perhaps they could issue with another batch!

I would definately speak to GP by phone if possible, perhaps they will issue another prescription that you can get filled at another chemist - different batch number to!

Love Lesley

5. Raglet

Raglet Registered

I think Pam is on to something here - my doc tells me that it is mostly about the different fillers that they use in different formulations which can affect the rate of absorption of the drug.

Obviously it is all tramadol, but it sounds like the particular formulation of the first variety of tramadol that you used suited you better than the one that you are currently on. And this is usually about the inactive parts of the tablet (the fillers) and the impact that they can have on the absorption of the active part of the tablet (or capsule) - the tramadol.

This is why sometimes people have a problem with generics. I find that with some generics I do just fine and there seems to be no difference for me, but with others I need to take a higher dose to get the same effect.

Either that or you are becoming accustomed to it and need to up your dose anyway. Sounds like you need to talk to your doctor about it.

hth

raglet

6. LoopyLoo

LoopyLoo Registered

Oh I forgot to add DOH! I had some of the original ones left which I tried today as an experiment and they worked as they did when I got them.

Because I've never had such strong pain meds (well they are for me) I don't want to come across like an addict if you know what I mean. :lol:

My GP is good so I think I'll give him a phone on Monday. Thanks guys!

7. ALWIN

ALWIN Guest

Hi Pam

I think you should report the difference you have experienced between these brands. It could be important. I would tell the pharmacist again too.

There have been problems with drugs in the past. During importation the labels can be changed several times before they reach their final destination / country and this is one reason batch numbers are so important - so they can be traced right back to their factory origin. The drug company name is not necessarily the original manufacturer.

If people have not had problems and reported them, how would anybody know there was something the matter?

You could even ask your gp the correct department to report the matter to to ensure they are checked out and ask them to let you know their results.

I think you are quite right to stay with this. I would keep a couple of unopened tablets in each separate pack, complete with the labelling so the batch numbers and all the relevant info. is there. If anybody takes proper notice of you the drugs can be directly compared.

Tell them about your experiment too. Just imagine if this was a drug for treating anaphylactic shock or a heart attack and it did not work.

You are right to be concerned.

Hope you are feeling ok, by the way. Take good care of yourself.

:love:

8. Lily

Lily Registered

Hi Pam,

No you are not going bonkers, well if you are then quite a few of us here now and in the past are as well ;)

My pharmacist realises that this happens and she knows now that it's safer to stick to the brand names with me. Here they have to ask you if you want a generic or not, that's the law unless the doctor has marked that a generic is alright. Even then you have the option........mind you the generics are just a little bit cheaper but for me it's not worth it.

Several years ago I was on a brand name antidepressant and doing fine on it, then they gave me a generic because they had run out of the brand the day I went to fill the script. In a couple of days it was blatantly obvious that the generic was not doing the trick, I was a mess and it was as if I was on nothing.

With my NSAID I have tried the generic and even though it was enteric coated supposedly (same as the brand) it burnt the heck out of my stomach.

So yes, it does happen and any doctor or pharmacist who doesn't realise it is having themselves on. It's the makeup of the drug, the fillers, the colourings and in that case of mine probably the coating being ineffective.

I would speak to your doc and tell him about your experiment.

love
    Lily

9. LoopyLoo

LoopyLoo Registered

Thank you all so much!

I was going to hang off until I go back to my GP in 2 weeks as I feel like I've never been away from him but after re-reading this I'm going to pop down to the surgery tomorrow.

I've been taking the full 100mg every 4 hours today and it most definately is not effective. I was very comfortable with the previous one with 50mg every 5 hours. Something is definately wrong there.

I'll post an update tomorrow.

Hugz, :grouphug2:

Pam xxx

10. flutterbye

flutterbye Banned

I think it is definately a good idea to see the doc, what has been said about the different brands does make sense, especially given that you have been able to directly compare the effectiveness.

I know that I have on a couple of occassions found that tramadol has just stopped being effective, and I have been switched to entirely different painkillers, I also know that my prescriptions have also been different brands, but I can't think if the times I was switched coincided with having had a different brand, or that I just became accustomed to the drug, I can't actually remember whether I had been on them long, I probably am not the brightest fairy light on the christmas tree! I just had to look at my tablets to see what brand they are and they are Mabron which seem to suit me ok, and certainly the box seems to look like it has for ages.

You definately don't want to be back where you were with the pain, so I hope that this is something that can be sorted for you tomorrow.

(((hugs)))

11. LoopyLoo

LoopyLoo Registered

Hi Peeps,

I went to the surgery today and explained the situation to the receptionist (who is very nice) and she jotted it all down. She is going to pass it to the doc who will hopefully write me another prescription.

The only problem is finding a pharmacy that stocks the original Tramadol I got from the hospital. Most of the pharmacies locally are part of the same network (Boots/Unichem) and will only have Zydol. Not sure how to tackle that one.

Thanks again for all your replies, it was a huge help.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

12. greenhaggis

greenhaggis Registered

Pam, thats good about getting another prescription!

Can a chemist not just do a special order to what you need!

Perhaps the GP needs also to put a note on prescription that it is NOT to be replaced by an alternative source of Tramadol!

Good luck!

Lesley

13. Raglet

Raglet Registered

Sometimes I have just had to adjust the dose when using a generic - like when I was on celexa then changed on to a generic, my doc just told me to take an extra 1/2 tablet and all was well.

You may like to talk to your doctor about doing something similar.

raglet

14. Clare.T

Clare.T Registered

Well done Pam on getting to grips with it all.
    I suspect I am having a similar problems with with a (non lupus) med having just started on the generic version. I'll wait a few days before deciding if this really is the case. It seems impossible considering they have to have the same amount of active ingredient. You're reluctant to complain because it seems crazy

Reactions to different fillings can occur even with different batches of the brand because they can change the fillings.

All the best

Clare

15. LoopyLoo

LoopyLoo Registered

I picked up the new prescription today and went to an independant pharmacy. The pharmacist was excellent and agreed that it was likely I had reacted to the Zydol. He had 3 different types of Tramadol and we went through them individually.

I chose one that had very little colourings and it is working.:dancing: When I compared the ingredients the Zydol had a lot more E numbers.

Thanks so much guys - without your help and advice I probably wouldn't have done anything about it. :thanx:

P.S. When I went into the doctors surgery the receptionist called me by name and I apologised for being in so often. She laughed and said it's a pity I couldn't get frequent flyer miles :lol:

16. LBH

LBH Guest

It's possible

I know I take Gabapentin which is the generic form of neurontin. And for some reason I see a difference in both of them. The nuerontin helps me better than gabapentin. So I do think the chemical compounds could be different and causing you more problems than what the other drug caused.

17. Raglet

Raglet Registered

Get your doctor to write you a prescription for the BRAND NAME that you want, and get them to write 'no substitutions'.

Then the pharmacy will order in the brand that you want.

I take 20mg of imipramine at night time (migraine preventor) and I always have the doctor specify the brand tofranil. The pharmacy just orders it in for me, actually these days they carry if for me as they know i am on it long term. I refuse to take the other stuff (no idea what it is called) because the tablets are badly made and some of them even have holes in them !

So i just get the script written out using the brand I want, and it works really well.

not sure if this would work in your system though, I live in New zealand.

raglet

18. LBH

LBH Guest

Thanks for sharing this Raglet

It is winter time right now in New Zealand too isn't it! Right now I wished I was in cold weather. 97 degrees in my area today and hot. LOL! Thanks for sharing the info about the generic brand versus the regular brand. My insurance will only cover generics and any brand names I have to pay dearly. My husband and I spend at least $450.00 a month just on meds, and medical bills. Thank goodness our house is paid for but my illness itself has created a car payment I don't even have. :lol:

19. LoopyLoo

LoopyLoo Registered

Raglet - thanks for the advice but I tried that and most of the pharmacies here are part of a network and have specific contracts with pharmaceutical companies.

I'm going to go back to the pharmacy that I got these new ones as they are working fine and have tons less colourings etc in them.

Alternative is that my rheumy could write me a script so that I always get them from the hospital pharmacy.

I am a much more comfortable pixie at the moment and that is the main thing. :)

20. BaronessVerney

BaronessVerney New Member

7 years later but for anyone else looking in now in 2016 I also have had experience of taking generic tramadol and Zydol and have exact same experiences as Pam here. I had started on generic tramadol, I was then put onto Zydol because the nearer supermarket didn't stock the generic tramadol. I thought it will be no different then realised things were not the same as in the pain relief was not so good but I thought it was something to do with maybe how I was walking or some other reason. Anyhow continued on Zydol and then was given 20 generic tramadol by a medical person one time I suddenly ran out (ill in pill box - sorry) and noticed the difference almost straight away. Now unfortunately back on Zydol, trying to get the generic, specifically asked for generic at the surgery and spent the last 18 hours calling the 111 medical number to try and get a swap, which was agreed last night but now somehow reverted to nothing with medical trained professionals/doctors telling me there is no difference between the more when I know full well that there is and the fact that it's obvious by shape alone between tablets and capsules that there is a difference is not been taken into consideration at all. To no avail. These Zydol are almost useless to me, the strength is like the equivalent of one single ibuprofen. Realistically speaking the generic Tramadol are like plastic with crystals and these Zydol are a very heavy block tablet and I'm assuming they do not distribute around the body by dissolving correctly and I do know companies tweak tablets to kind of make them their own. So conclusively, generic tramadol and great for me because Zydol all virtually useless. The same applies to alternatives Zamadol too - even worse than Zydol .