Two positive ANA tests, One negative, with Lupus symptoms(What do I do) | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Two positive ANA tests, One negative, with Lupus symptoms(What do I do)

Discussion in 'Not Diagnosed Yet?' started by eascusa, Aug 26, 2020.

1. eascusa

eascusa New Member

Hello Everyone,

I am in need of advice. I just don't know what to think or do. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2001. I don't know if I ever had a Lupus test back then. But beginning I think in around 2007 right before the birth of my son I developed Anemia. (Bloodloss Anemia) A few years later I stopped having periods for unknown reasons so it couldn't be contributed to that. Test after test through the years shows my blood cells all low except one was too high. Can't remember which one. And even now after 14 years, I am still showing unknown Anemia. I also have all the other symptoms of Lupus. I get a rash on my face but it's not red however and directly over my nose. But I get rashes on my abdomen, under my boobs, the back of my head at the hair line, etc. I get fevers all the time for no reason. Especially, after doing any kind of activity. Headaches, hair loss, extreme fatigue, swelling in legs and abdomen, joint pain, muscle pain, etc. Of course, fibro could be some of that. But the main thing is I had a positive ANA test 2 years ago as well as a positive ANA test 6 months ago. When I was at my Doctors the other day, a new Doctor for me, said that everything I was telling him sounded like Lupus. He said without a doubt he thinks I have Lupus and has me going to get a chest x-ray and abdomen x-ray and some other things. I have a tender abdomen and an enlarged liver. So he wanted to look into that too. Well, even though having Lupus isn't a good thing I was relieved to finally get a diagnosis that people would "except" rather than Fibromyalgia. People being family members, other doctors, the medical community etc. And I just got through telling my family. Everything was finally making sense. As far as all these whacky symptoms I have that Fibro doesn't seem to count for. Anyway, the doctor did more blood work three days ago and included an additional ANA test. I just got off the phone with him and he said it is showing a negative this time. So he's like, "Oh, well it was a false positive. What happened to what he was telling me the other day!? I reminded him that I had more than one positive ANA in the past though and he still thinks it was a false positive. He is blaming it on my diabetes being too high right now. He said it must of been the sugar messing my body up and causing inflammation that gave it a positive. But isn't regular inflammation different from the inflammation that the ANA test checks? And I remembered the first time I had a positive test I didn't even have diabetes and the second time my numbers were under control. So I don't even know what he is talking about. I feel awful and am in pain. Anyway, I'm upset because like I said I needed answers and I have been suffering for so long with no answers to things such as my Anemia. I can't even donate blood. They won't let me. And this doctor just quits just like that! He is a Doctor Assistant actually that works with my primary Doctor. But my primary wasn't any better. She didn't even bother to talk to me about my positive ANA test or care about my symptoms and all the other weird things my body puts me through.. And right now I am in the middle of appealing S.S.I. and at least with Lupus, the doctors would take me more seriously. I am just so tired! What does everyone else think? I asked him if I could have a negative test and it really be positive and he said no. Even though I had positives before. What's going on? Has anyone here have a negative test before?

2. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Hello eascusa,

The ANA test isn't really a test for Lupus. Other autoimmune diseases can also produce a positive ANA, diabetes included. It sounds to me like you need to get a referral to a rheumatologist so you can get other tests that may help narrow down your issues. The following link shows some of the tests a doctor might want https://www.thelupussite.com/lupus_diagnosis_tests/blood_tests.html

The Anemia confuses what is going on also. Many of the symptoms you have could be attributed to that. One of the problems many of us found when trying to get a diagnosis was if a symptom fell into the realm of something you were already diagnosed with doctors looked no further to see if something else could be the cause. Once again a good rheumatologist might be able to help you.

Take care,
    Lazylegs