Understanding Lab Results (not seeing Rheumy till after Christmas) | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Understanding Lab Results (not seeing Rheumy till after Christmas)

Discussion in 'Newly diagnosed' started by cmmusiclover93, Dec 2, 2017.

1. cmmusiclover93

cmmusiclover93 New Member

Hey Everyone!

I posted on here a few weeks, just a few days after my diagnosis. I really appreciated everyone's detailed responses and support! I go some labwork back a few days ago, and even though I have tried to contact both my Rheumy and Primary doctor I haven't had success. Some of my results (and physical pain that I think is related to them) is concerning me, so I was wondering if anyone had any insight. :)

1.) So, my main concern is with my Urinalysis results, so I'm writing about them first. My other labs and the ones I have questions about will be below it. But I don't understand my Urinalysis results at all, and have been having chronic pain in the bladder area, and increasing numbers for the abnormal items despite two courses of antibiotics in the last 2 months. After my last course, my primary care doctor told me he didn't want me on anymore yet because he thinks it might not be an infection, but something else. He referred me to the Rheumy. But pain is getting much much worse. Could this have to with my kidneys? I really have no idea how to interpret. Here are the results (only abnormal):

-pH: 5 (barely low, slightly acidic)
    -Protein 1+
    -Bacteria 1+
    -Mucus 4+
    -Calcium Oxalate 4+
    -Leukocyte Esterase 1+
    -Appearance: Hazy

2.) So- my abnormal blood labs I pretty much understand, actually:
    -Positive ANA, Titer: 1:320
    -Speckled ANA pattern
    -Positive SSA RO 52 (ENA): 71
    -Low WBC
    -High MPV: 11.5 (DONT KNOW WHAT THIS ONE MEANS?)
    -Low Absolute Eosinophils: 0 (DON't KNOW WHAT THIS ONE MEANS?)

Any insight would be appreciated! :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  2. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Hi,

Blood results can be difficult to understand. Your doctor will be looking at the entire picture of your results and your symptoms. It may take even more tests to get a clearer picture of what is going on. The WBC is showing your white blood cells are low hence why your GP doesn't think you have a bladder infection. The MPV is testing your platelets. The Absolute Eosinophils show if you are fighting an infection or disease. Not being a doctor it is all a bit confusing to me.

I did notice you are showing a positive for calcium oxalate. My daughter would be a high positive when she had a kidney stone. Different labs use different values so I am not sure what number would be considered high. These would all be questions for your doctor.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

3. cmmusiclover93

cmmusiclover93 New Member

Thanks for your response. I finally got a hold of my Rheumatologist, and he referred me to a Urologist and told me doesn't think it is autoimmune related OR a UTI. ugg... another doctor. This will be number four not including the primary. :/