Up for 3 Year Review Soon - Will it be Difficult? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Up for 3 Year Review Soon - Will it be Difficult?

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by earthling, May 4, 2009.

1. earthling

earthling earthling

Hi, I was labeled "temporarily disabled" which means I am up for review every 3 years. It will be 3 years this July and I'm wondering what the review process is like?

My situation has definitely improved (I had a heart attack, blood clots, near kidney failure, etc.) and my bloodtests show improvement w/the lupus and normal kidney functioning, but I am still not feeling well enough to work - still have fatigue, some joint pain, need to sleep during the day, stomach problems, sleeping problems, bad depression and concentration/confusion problems and early menopause from the chemo.

Even though I'm not feeling well enough to work, I don't know if the reviewers will give me a hard time because my lab tests are better.

I'm wondering if anyone has gone through this or is going through a review process and any advice? I have heard that many times social security disability will just send a letter asking if you're working and if you're not they'll continue benefits without a review.

Many thanks,
    Earthling

2. KarolH

KarolH Registered

Hello there,

I do not have personal experience with this but I can tell you that some folks have said if you have had treatment in the past 3 years for on going issues you should be fine. This is not etched in stone so please dont quote me.

I am out on permanent disability 3 years last month and yet no review????? Now sure why?

3. earthling

earthling earthling

Hi Karol,
    Thank you so much for responding. I'll look into it more but your reply has made me feel less panicky. I'm on temporary disability, which means that I am reviewed every 3 years. Permanent disability means that you will receive benefits for the rest of your life and that you will never get reviewed - so don't worry. :)
    Take good care,
    Cynthia

4. KarolH

KarolH Registered

Hi Cynthia,

Curious, at what point will you file for permanent? Also, I know people who are on permanent disability and they do get reviewed. 2 of them have even been kicked to the curb and told they no longer qualify. Very scary!!!!!:eek:

I would think if you have been out of work for 3 years now you probably are not in any shape to return to working. Is there any truth to this assumption? I hope your well Cynthia.

5. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Not everyone is on a 3 year review plan. If there is a possibility of improvement you are more likely to be on a 3 year plan. When no improvement is expected due to the likelihood of disease progression such as in Parkinson's you are on a 7 year plan but can be reviewed at 5 years in some cases. The letter you received granting disability usually has notes the number of years until your review.

Since you were diagnosed with MS at the time Karol you are probably on a 7 year review plan.

I haven't had a review yet Cynthia since I am on the 7 year cycle. Hopefully someone else that has been reviewed will come along and be able to help. I wish you luck.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

6. Pink Pearl

Pink Pearl Registered

In the 20 years I have been on disability, I have gone thru a few of these.

My first suggestion is that you start now to keep a daily diary of ALL your ills and gains. Rate them on a 1-10 scale. You decide which is good/worst. Document this several times a day. This will go a LONG way to the review in your favor.

Make notes about what you were able, pre sle, to do and what you are not, post sle, able to do. Be as verbose as you possibly can. [reviews are not a time to skimp on words-this is how you can show your case without them actually seeing you.] Include how every day things are more complicated for you. How much time do you spend doing something that your hubby, cousin, neighbor, does in half or less time.

Include discussions you have had with your doctors. What do they think about your prognosis? Do they have ideas on how you can improve your health that you are not doing right now? How do they see that you have improved or lost health? Include what you are doing to try to improve your health. ie gardening organically and trying to grow a lot of your own food, using a housekeeper to reduce stress on your joints, working out at a gym, pool, or ymca, mind games to help pick up memory retention, what ever you have done.

Having had this discussion helped me in a huge way! It may not be what we want to hear, but it is something that needs to be said.

What goals are you trying to make....making them is not the point, you are trying to move ahead.
    If you've changed doctors in the interim, why did you do it? Has it been a beneficial move? What help do you need to do every day tasks, cooking, laundry, house keeping?

This should give you a bit of a boost on what you may be asked on the review. Documenting now will give you less of a panicked feeling when the review does come.

By having all this on hand, and all the documentation, my reviews have all been approved.
    Good luck,
    Sally

7. earthling

earthling earthling

Karol, sorry I gave you the wrong information! I've definitely gotten better since I first started out and I feel that I will be well enough eventually, but not anytime soon, esp. not in the next couple of months. The major thing is fatigue and having to take naps, and depression keeps me from doing things that are good for myself. Thanks for your well wishes...:)

8. earthling

earthling earthling

Thanks Lazylegs, I will keep you all posted on the process and what goes on...

9. earthling

earthling earthling

Thanks Sally, your advice has been invaluable. :) I will print this out and start working on it. Yikes, I have not done much to improve my health except research and writing lots of lists. Depression plays a major part of it, I'm starting therapy again, can my therapist write a letter? I need to get my act together - the medication and doctors have helped so much...the rest is up to me. Thanks again.

10. Pink Pearl

Pink Pearl Registered

Hi Cynthia,
    I have only had to have my doctors provide updates this last time, 3+- years back. The other times they took my report and didn't have to go for my doctors reports. So, I would wait and see what they want, before they ask. They will ask you for all your physicians/providers that you have seen in the last year, dates and why you saw them as part of the review.

If they want reports from the doctors they will write to the docs themselves. (I include a therapist as "doctor")

Try not to stress out, and take care of yourself in the meantime. You have more than enough time to deal with any data they may want.
    Sally

11. earthling

earthling earthling

Thanks, Sally! :)

12. Pink Pearl

Pink Pearl Registered

You are very welcome. I wish I had known way back when that they needed every little detail documented. I was trying to not clutter them with data.....big, huge, mistake! Now I advise everyone I can to be as verbose as you possibly can. The cases I have known which were approved for benefits on the first go round were those who used pages and pages to answer every question.
    Sally

13. rwb200

rwb200 Registered

Hello
    My wife was on Permanent disability and they decided to do a review.
    They sent her the paperwork and asked her to fill it out.
    She did and they went and got her doctors reports. She like you was doing better then when she went on disability but was far from good enough to work.
    Her doctors both submitted a report when asked and stated she coukd not work at all.
    They decided to send her for Medical Review to there doctor.
    He looked at her and took pictures of her hands ( Deformed from Joint damage) and her feet ( Same type of damage)
    He told us he could see no reason she should not be continued and she was the only patient he seen that day he thought needed disability.
    They called and talked to her and asked questions. She talked to them and answered all of the questions they had.
    They sent her a notice saying she was denied and payment would be stopped at once.
    Reason she could do sedentary work such as answer the phone which was evident by the her being able to talk to them when they called and answer all questions.

I guess maybe she should have been confused by the questions and asked them to call back when I was home to help her.

We tried to fight it for awhile but the stress and agrevation was causing trouble for her lupus so we just gave up and stopped.

We told them that she may be a little better now but that the stress of work and lack of ability to rest when needed would have her sicker then ever in no time.
    The answer was then she can qualify again when that happens.

14. earthling

earthling earthling

Hi Rwb,
    Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sorry to hear what happened with your wife's losing disability. It sounds like they played a dirty trick or they were incompetent, that is really messed up. Personally here I experience confusion and can't concentrate or talk to people, but also have my moments when I can obviously think clearly...I will keep your experience in mind. I hope your wife will be able to file again and get disability.
    Thank you again.