Vitamins & minerals supplements- what do you take? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Vitamins & minerals supplements- what do you take?

Discussion in 'Living with lupus' started by LupusMuscleAttack2017, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Hi everyone!

I'm new to Lupus and am having my 1st major flare still.

In addition to the prescriptions, I supplement with Ginger, Turmeric, JustOne Multivitamin, FishOil with high Omega 3, Moringa powder (sometimes) and Magnesium (sometimes).

Which ones (vitamins, minerals, and herbs) do you take, if any? Let's discuss what seems to work for you.

2. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Hi,

My rheumy has me taking Calcium with vitamin D, Magnesium and B12. I use to take Potassium but my numbers are up and I make a concentrated effort to eat foods high in it.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

3. keebler

keebler Moderator

Hi,

It is a good idea to check with your rhumey before adding over the counter meds.
    Some will fight with your Rx meds that you are taking.
    Take care,
    Lyn

4. Thanks Lyn. My doc already knows. Did you see the question above: which ones do you take?

5. keebler

keebler Moderator

I take Calcium with Vitamin D & a multivitamin.

6. omen

omen FKA Clare.T

I take Vitamin D daily on my lupus expert doctors advice. They say everybody in northern climes is deficient! I avoid the sun and I'm almost housebound, so my levels were inevitably low. I also take alendronate on medical advice, given my age and the risks and likelihood of osteoporosis.
    I see no reasons whatsoever for taking anything else. :) My diet is in no way deficient and there's no need for therapeutic supplements of any sort.
    I'm only interested in evidence-based therapies.

7. Thanks Omen, Keebler, and lazylegs

8. VeeJay

VeeJay Member

I take magnesium - without it I have 24/7 headaches. I take calcium because it and magnesium work together - and VitK2 for calcium absorption. (I am careful to separate the magnesium from Plaquinel by four hours so the mag. doesn't reduce effectiveness of it).

I also take Vit.D3 - I also don't get much sun - a multivitamin, and Lugol's iodine (a couple times a week) since I don't use idonized salt.

9. Daroswene

Daroswene New Member

Hi,
    I take calcium and a multivitamin. I don't get outside much, despite being in SC, so my vitamin D is always low. Since I take warfarin, I use injectable B-12 to avoid the vitamin K and keep my INR within normal limits. My folic acid level was low at my family doctor's office, so we started it at 1mg. My rheumatologist read that some of my seizure meds could cause me to metabolize it quickly, so she increased it to 4mg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. susane

susane Registered

I take vitamin D and multivitamin.

11. susane

susane Registered

I have also been taking folic acid, because mine was low. I have tried now taking some fish oil.

12. Tired

Tired Member

I take vitamin D (chronically low levels due to working nights and also avoiding sunlight) and melatonin (for sleep) regularly.

13. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Tired... I think Melatonin is a definite no no for autoimmune conditions........ think you may need to run that by your Rheumy

Melatonin and melatonin-containing supplements should be avoided in people with lupus and other autoimmune disorders because they may stimulate the immune system. In addition, people with these conditions should also avoid the prescription sleep aid Rozerem (ramelteon), because it mimics melatonin in the body.
    Things to Avoid • Johns Hopkins Lupus Center
    https://www.hopkinslupus.org/lupus-info/lifestyle-additional-information/avoid/

Take care....Claire

14. Tired

Tired Member

Good to know! I wasn't aware that melatonin would cause a problem for lupus. I should probably find another sleep aid.