What supplements do you take with your daily regime? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

What supplements do you take with your daily regime?

Discussion in 'Complementary therapies' started by catcove, Mar 10, 2016.

1. catcove

catcove Junior Member

Hello. I am just wondering if I'm missing any necessary supplements. Everyday, I take multivitamin, cranberry pill, vitamin D and folic acid. What are you taking and why?

Peace,
    catcove

2. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

My rheumy has me taking Calcium with D for the bones and B12 to help with the nerves.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

catcove likes this.
  3. omen

omen FKA Clare.T

I only take low dose Vitamin D3 because I tend towards low VitD and at one time my level was very low indeed. There's no reason to think that I need anything else: no anemia, no frequent infections, and my diet is very healthy indeed - almost faultless, a mediterrean type of diet as we call it in the UK. I do eat far too much though! :(
    I'm also very fond of butter and cream

However, a few weeks ago we stopped eating bread and 'starchy foods' like potatoes, pasta and rice, to help my husband with his blood sugar levels, so I need to remind myself about natural sources of Vitamin B. ( We ate brown wholemeal bread). We added an extra veg to our meals. I don't really miss the starchy stuff and the effect on hubby's BS levels has been the most dramatic improvement.

It's important to know that any surplus of water-soluble vitamin supplements will be eliminated naturally, but that it is possible to overdose on the fat soluble vitamins like Vit D.
    Surveys have shown that many people are pointlessly or even dangerously consuming supplements, willy-nilly, brain-washed by the huge and highly profitable 'natural-'/phyto-ceutical industry.

I regard supplements in the same way as medicines - I don't take them unless there's reliable evidence that I need them.
    I do my own research about everything, same as I do with any consumer product.
    There are so many ways to help oneself that don't involve needless expenditure.

:)

catcove likes this.
  4. x_claire_x

x_claire_x Moderator

Hiya.. I too think you need to be cautious and wise when bombarding our digestive system and generally our bodies with lots of additionals, as it has to work a lot as it is with the meds we are on....so lots of thought and research before selecting what you may need to help rather than hinder . It is also wise to run past your Rheumy too as you don't want any immune boosting stuff...eeek.

I used to have Cranberry to hopefully help all the urine infections but indeed have stopped now that my symptoms are calmer and not had any infections anyway. I take Calcium/magnesium tablet every other day and a Vit D oral spray every day , a multivit every other day, feverfew every day (hoping to help migraines) and two dessertspoons of organic Olive Oil...which has just been proven to help heart health, every day (unless I forget...lol)
    That is all I take now...though at one point I rattled more :0) I guess it is hard to have a fixed answer but I too eat fresh every day and try and eat as much healthy stuff as I can and not too much processed. I have gone Gluten Free, which has helped a lot but you have to be careful of gluten free stuff in the supermarkets as they are loaded with sugar and other rubbish...............so always look and learn ...and sometimes just blinking well enjoy !

catcove likes this.
  5. Silvia Giebitz

Silvia Giebitz New Member

Hi I am Silvia, my chiropracter recomended:

vitamin D3 will assist you to cope with the lack of sunlight
    Mega probiotic
    vitamin C
    Omega 3 EPA DHA
    Olive Leaf
    Cordyceps
    DAMAE
    After I started taking these supplements, a red crusty,itchy spot that did not heal for 30 years in my foot, healed.
    I will add folic acid, recommended by my doctor
    Please let me know how it works for you

6. catcove

catcove Junior Member

Thanks @Silvia Giebitz for your response. My rheumy has me taking folic acid because I take Methotrexate. I think the folic acid is helping to slow down or minimize the hair loss with the Methotrexate. I still have hair loss but I don't think it's as bad as it could be.

Peace, catcove

7. Silvia Giebitz

Silvia Giebitz New Member

The medication they gave me, gave me an outburst of candida, I used peroxide to clean myself and my clothes, I also used sodium bicarbonate and oregano oil. It seems to be working. I follow a strict diet and I hope to find a good homeopathic doctor. I don't want to stay using drugs that heal one thing and damage another.