Wheat / Gluten Free Bread | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Wheat / Gluten Free Bread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by spook, Oct 13, 2011.

1. spook

spook Registered

450g flour - Gluten wheat Free plain white flour blend
    1 Vitamin C Tablet, Crushed to powder
    1 tsp sea salt - rock sea salt
    4 tsp xanthan gum
    2 tsp gluten free baking powder
    2 large organic free range eggs
    Rice Milk - combine with eggs to make total liquid volume 200ml
    200ml Sparkling water
    Optional - 1 cap of vinilla extract to offset taste.
    Preparation:

Preheat fan over to 200 degrees Centigrade
    Dust a 1lb loaf tin with flour
    Get out a mixing bowl, measuring jug, wooden spoon, spatula, hand whisk.

Method:

Vit C tablet tablet in a pill crusher or with the back of a spoon until it it pure powder.
    Mix dry ingredients and hand whisk together.
    Whisk eggs and add milk to total liquid content of 200ml
    Add egg/milk mix to dry ingredients and combine together.
    Add sparkling water last and quickly mix to a lumpy batter.
    Quickly press into loaf tin and smooth top with spatula.
    Bake fo 45 minutes.

Made this yesterday and there is only about 2 slices left. First time I've made a bread that doesnt aggrivate my IBS.

2. Pink Pearl

Pink Pearl Registered

I also have several recipes for gluten free breads, the ones I like the best use rice flour, potato starch flour and cornstarch, rather than just rice flour. I really like Carol Fenster, RD, PhD, as her cookbooks not only explain how to avoid certain things, but how to live around them.

It would also make a difference if you are just avoiding wheat vs needing to follow a celiac disease diet. Also many of us are allergic to tapioca starch which is a common ingredient in commercial wheat free mixes. That is why I use cornstarch in my mixes as the tapioca wipes out my gut.

I understand about having fresh bread in the house. I am staying with my dad temporarily, and made a double batch of [my] bread 5 days ago and it is nearly gone so need to make more! I do find that after a couple days the rice bread needs to be toasted a bit before using it or the texture somehow gets a bit "soggy" so just a bit of toasting helps.
    In the US, I have found that Red Star yeast is safe for celiac, but have had reactions to Fleischmann's, so use Red Star instead.

If you are interested I have a recipe for a rice flour quick bread which uses baking powder instead of yeast, just ask. It is very good and I really like it for making dressing at the holidays. I have 2 4" notebooks of recipes, so if you want any, just let me know. I'm happy to share with others who are fairly new to this diet. I've had celiac dx for about 40 years now.

I may be a few days before getting back to you, as I am staying at my dad's for the present. He was in the hospital with pneumonia and is not supposed to be alone yet.
    Sally