When should I apply for SSDI? USA? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

When should I apply for SSDI? USA?

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by Nancer, May 5, 2011.

1. Nancer

Nancer Registered

Just a question. I have been on short term disability through my employer since March. It lasts through July. I am being worked up for Lupus but have not been diagnosed with it yet. I believe my Rheumy theism's it is but I understand her time in wanting to diagnose it. My main diagnosis right now is inflammatory arthritis, fever, positive ANA, rash, increased CRP. How soon should I apply for the the social security disability benefits? I know it wouldn't start until the 6th month but can I get the bowl rolling now or is it too early? I also know that it takes awhile and there are several steps and you get denied almost every first time. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Nancy

2. greenhaggis

greenhaggis Registered

Lupus is a dodgy subject..... :) I'm from the UK and am hoping that in the USA Arthritis is seen in a better light for benefits just like if the UK - hoping someone will come alone with good advice for you:) !

3. KarolH

KarolH Registered

Hello Nancy,

Being on short term disability pays you the benefits until July in your case. You really can not apply for SSD until the Short Term runs out however many people print out a copy of the application, get it filled out, get all doctors notes necessary and letters from the same treating doctors, friends and family members that are willing to stand behind you and support the fact that you can no longer work. Gathering all results to blood tests, scans, biopsys, etc...can be very helpful too. If your being treated by 4 different doctors and they are all willing to support your SSD then by all means ask them to write a note on your behalf. The more facts you give them and documents that support you being ill the better the chances are that you will get SSD. Also if you were to return to work after Short Term Disability runs out then you risk not winning SSD at all.

Some people are approved first time out but that is very unusual, especially if your younger then 60 years old. Typically you get denied and if you do then I would advise you to hire a attorney. It does not cost you anything until you win SSD and then the payment to the attorney comes from your retro pay for SSD, make sense? You can also go sit with a attorney and get a FREE consultation too...will not cost you anything. They will give you a better idea what your chances are of getting approved. Make sure you use a SSD attorney as they specialize in just that.

I am not certain what type of work you did prior to illness. SSD will look at your last 3 years of Substantial income and base your monthly amount, if you win on that. I am not certain but I believe you will get 66% of what you made when you did work. You also get a monthly amount per child and that stays until the child turns 18 years of age.

I will tell you that I am certain without a diagnosis on paper you will not get approved at all if your young. Your diagnosis does not have to be Lupus perse'.......but a diagnosis must be listed. Also if your young they look at your ability to do 3 things....
    *Stoop
    *Stand
    *Sit
    If you can do these with ease you will NOT be approved. If you can NOT do these then the chances improve dramatically. When you fill out your application make sure you answer all of the questions very specifically and be careful not to mix words.

I hope this helps you and I am sure others may come along to give some of their advice. Good luck to you and let us know how you make out.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

4. KarolH

KarolH Registered

Did this help answer some questions for you Nancy?

5. Maia

Maia Registered

My advice is to first try to get on LTD through your employer (if you have that coverage). Then if you remain disabled and are on LTD - then that company will do everything they can do to get SSD approved for you.

I agree with Karol, you are very likely to be denied at the 6 month mark, especially without a diagnosis (& therefore without a prognosis for the long term likelihood of being unable to work).

Allsup is a company that helps people get SSD, they helped me. They said they expect almost everyone to be denied TWICE!!

Good luck to you. Hope you can get LTD first as that really eases the transition from a working person with a paycheck to getting SSD.

6. Nancer

Nancer Registered

Thank you Ladies. Yes, this did help. Im just a nervous wreck. My husband and I make 50/50 so we will be losing half our income and we have 3 little ones. They have no idea how their life is about to change. I checked with my employer and we do not have LTD. I have not been diagnosed with lupus as of yet but that is what she is treating me for. My official last diagnosis was inflammatory arthritis with secondary positive ANA, increased CRP, fever of unknown origin and a couple other things. I work with my hands, fingers, wrists, elbows, and shoulders on a daily basis not to mention sit, stoop, bend, help pregnant ladies up from lying on their backs. I don't know how this would be possible. I can barely brush my teeth on my own. My husband and I are planning on hiring a lawyer when it's time. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!

Nancy

7. lablover

lablover Registered

Hey Nancy! I started the process in Dec 09 and was denied right away. So then I hired an attorney and we appealed the finding. That too was denied. So we have appealed yet again and have requested a trial with a disability judge. That request went in about May 2010 and I am still waiting! Ugh! They were really backlogged in Toledo so they have bumped my case up to Grand Haven, MI. Now we will have to do the hearing by conference call. Even with the move I called and they are still reviewing my case. AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! Come on, how long does this really take? So my advice to you would be to start it as soon as you get a dx.

Hope all goes well.

take care and keep in touch,
    wendy

8. lazylegs

lazylegs Moderator

Qualifying is based on your ability to work. The work does not necessarily have to be in your present field. Since your job is so physical they could deny you thinking an office job would be appropriate. Speak with your doctor before applying so you are on the same page. The doctor will need to stress your physical limitations. Good luck.

Take care,
    Lazylegs

9. Nancer

Nancer Registered

Lablover,
    Grand Haven is about 45 minutes away from my house. Lol. Good luck o you!

Nancy

10. lablover

lablover Registered

Thanks Nancy!

wendy