Will change in diagnosis change benefits? | Lupus Forums at The Lupus Site
  1. As you can see we have transferred to new forum software which is much more stable and will eliminate problems that we had with the old software.
    *** To login you will all need to reset your passwords. To do this simply click login (top right) then click the forgot password link. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. You can then use the forums as normal.
    Dismiss Notice

Will change in diagnosis change benefits?

Discussion in 'Social Security / Disability Benefits' started by Miknan, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Miknan

Miknan Registered

While there is no doubt in my mind my wife has lupus she is officially diagnosed as of now as having "Inflammatory arthritis". She was approved for SSDI about 2 weeks ago. In Dec she is going to the Mayo Clinic. If they change her diagnosis to Lupus that wouldn't effect her SSDI would it?

2. debatat

debatat Moderator

Hi Miknan, I am UK so unsure how your system works. However your wifes symptoms and limitations remain the same, which is the reason you have applied for SSDI, so I would imagine not. I would have thought the diagnosis would strengthen your case, if anything.

3. KidsPT

KidsPT Registered

I may be mistaken, but I think Lupus would be considered one form of Inflammatory Arthritis, so I doubt anything would change. Other forms of inflammatory arthritis could include rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis etc....

You might want to ask her Rheumatologist at her next appt to be sure.

Nancy

4. dudley

dudley Registered

Hi,
    No it will not change the amount of SSDI. SSDI is figured out by calculations of your wifes contributions and quarters paid in to the system. The DX does not effect the amount given in SSDI.

Elaine