The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there :)

That is a low positive (in fact the lowest positive one can have), usually too low to be considered significant for a diagnosis as many people in the health population may have an ANA at that level for a variety of reasons.

That said, a negative (or very low positive) ANA doesn't completely rule out lupus. I believe that a rheumy said that you have "lupus tendencies"... Was any treatment proposed for these tendencies or where to go from here?

Katharine

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mine is also 1.80 and they said positive but I also have had 2 skin biopsies that said lupus. I hope you are ok. I have having a hard time finding a rhuemy.

Stacy

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yes, lots of not-sick people have 1:80 ANA for no apparent reason. The number gains significance when a person has clinical symptoms and / or other irregular blood tests indicating possible SLE. As a 'stand alone' test with no symptoms, 1:80 doesn't mean much.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hi
im new just joined
I had Ana test in febuary got same result as u at that point i had slight signs i now have strong butterfly rash along with other symtpoms.so ive had whats called lupus serology bloods done along with lots other bits tested.hope u get some answers soon.
they told me can take quite a while,for me looks like i will have both ra and lupus.
must be so frustrating for u.
countrylass

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi

I also had a low positive ANA, which in a healthy person can be insignificant. But my doc told me that with the rest of my blood tests (low complement levels, elevated sed rate etc) and symptoms, it was significant in my case.
All the best

Tammie

·
over the hill
117 Posts
ana titre

My recent blood test has come back with a ana titre o 1:2560 homogeneous. I have no idea if this is particulary high but it did follow a strong flare. Any advice re- levels would be gratefully accepted

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
1:2560 is quite high, and likely to be significant in that when it's that high it is very likely to be due to autoimmune connective tissue disease (of which lupus is one possibility).

Any ANA test must be interpreted however, in light of current symptoms, past health history and even medications you are presently on. Furthermore, ANA levels tend to not correlate to disease activity and/or symptom severity so this test is primarily useful for diagnosis but not for monitoring disease activity.

·
over the hill
117 Posts
ana titre

Thank you for the information. I will see my rheumy on 16th Sept and will have loads of questions as there were other tests mentioned in blood report that I do not understand.IE :-Mx027663a.Melias screen includes anti-ro La,Sm,RNP,scl-70,Jo-1 and centromere antibodies Thank you for your help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts