The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'll try to keep this brief, but I have a few concerns surrounding some bloodwork my rheumatologist ordered. I'm 20, female, undiagnosed, and have had a few symptoms over the years, most notably chronic fatigue. I know I can't diagnose myself on forums, but my rheumatologist can't speak to me about my results until tuesday, they were available on the LabCorp website, and I let curiosity get the best of me. Now I'm left with a lot of questions.

First, I was initially sent to this rheumatologist because I complained to my primary doc about fatigue, sleeping problems and joint pain. He did extensive blood testing, and I came back with positive ANA (direct) and positive dsDNA, using the reference 0-9 as normal, anything above that being positive. I got a 54.

After seeing the rheumatologist, he seemed very 50/50 on diagnosing me, emphasizing that we'd have to get some lab work done to look into it further. I got 12 vials of blood taken and he ran a lot of lupus related testing. Once again, the ANA direct came back as a positive, but oddly enough the ANA (IFA) came back negative, so I'm not sure what to think. I know that ANA has a lot of false positives, but it's still confusing having two conflicting results. The most alarming thing to me is the dsDNA came back (same reference as before) as positive, this time at 64. On top of this, the urine tests came back seeming to indicate that I had a UTI, (high WBC count, trace blood, WBC esterase +1, epithelial cells) but the odd part is I don't seem to have any UTI symptoms. Also, my prothrombin time came back abnormal (high). What confuses me the most is the conflicting ANA and the dsDNA being so high, plus the fact that my rheumatologist diagnosed me with Raynaud's at my first visit.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Is a lupus diagnosis a possibility, and am I worrying about nothing? Thank you in advance.

·
Administrator
10,199 Posts
Hello and welcome.

The LFA is the pattern the ANA would show which would point the doctor in certain directions for a diagnosis. The positive dsDNA would point to Lupus however in rare cases it can point to other diseases. Your rheumy should be able to explain the negative result.

It is possible to have a UTI without the normal symptoms, especially in the elderly. Sometimes the symptoms manifest themselves in other ways. The most common would be confusion.

Test results can be confusing on their own. They need to be taken in conjunction with the symptoms and sometimes past history to say what is happening. Tuesday isn't that far away. The best thing would be to try to put it out of your mind until then.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome.

The LFA is the pattern the ANA would show which would point the doctor in certain directions for a diagnosis. The positive dsDNA would point to Lupus however in rare cases it can point to other diseases. Your rheumy should be able to explain the negative result.

It is possible to have a UTI without the normal symptoms, especially in the elderly. Sometimes the symptoms manifest themselves in other ways. The most common would be confusion.

Test results can be confusing on their own. They need to be taken in conjunction with the symptoms and sometimes past history to say what is happening. Tuesday isn't that far away. The best thing would be to try to put it out of your mind until then.

Take care,
Lazylegs
Thank you for your response! I'm only worrying so much because I feel like I've had so many medical mysteries for years, I might be closer to answers, and college starts on thursday so I'm just very overwhelmed at the moment and trying to make sense of everything. My rheumy also seems to be the kind of person who gives you no predictions until he knows a lot more because he doesn't want to scare you or something. I'm glad, but also wish he let me know what he was thinking so I knew if it was a cause for concern. I'll try to get it out of my head for now, though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts