The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently just had my second miscarriage in in one year and the high risk ob tells me its because i don't make enough progesterine(sp) not sure how to spell it could it be mt lupus causing this problem i just want to know has anyone else done this? I also only carried both babies 9-10 weeks.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Lupus causing miscarriages is more associated with later term miscarriages/stillbirths than early miscarriages (ie 1st trimester miscarriages). Has your doctor measured your progesterone during your previous pregnancies and found it too be low or is the doctor just hypothesizing?

If you're being seen by high risk doctor then I assume you know which antibodies you have, and are already being given appropriate treatment such as baby aspirin or heparin (if you have clotting antibodies) & staying on Plaquenil for the lupus itself. Maintaining appropriate treatment for your lupus is the best way to help prevent pregnancy problems...

There are may women that have low progesterone and simply using a suppository or taking some progesterone during that first trimester can get them to carry to term. If that is your documented problem... then the good news is there is very effective treatment for it if your levels are being monitored early on.

Sorry to hear about your second miscarriage... best wishes and prayers for a full term pregnancy in the near future whenever you're ready to try again.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Lupus can do funny things to our bodies. It is totally possible that Lupus is the cause or even Hughes Syndrome (not sure if you have that). I have had numerous miscarriages and the fact that I had Lupus is what the docs basically chaulked it up to. All of my miscarriages were early, 9-14 weeks gestation.

One thought....since your doc says that that your progesterone is low ould be to talk to your doc about fertility pills/shoys that would help control the amounts in your system that is essential is maintaining a pregnancy. I did and I was initially pregnant with triplets. I lost one and had a set of twins that were early. Again.......just a thought.

I am sorry to hear about your losses, they are very traumatic each and every time. There are so many different emotions that rush thru you that I do not think I could mention them all. Do not blame yourself by no means. Talk to your doc about your different options.

Nancy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Purplepassion.......I too have had two miscarriages!

When I was 30 and 31 I had two miscarriages and they were both around 5 months and I had genetic testing but they all thought at that time it was just a fluck?
I did happen to have two healthy boys before the miscarriages and decided after losing two I would stop....
I have some signs of lupus and I have some signs of fibro and waiting to see if I have Lupus but no phone call yet sooo maybe that is a good sign!
Just wanting to let you know you are thought of and it is a really hard thing to go through.......hugs!

ratherrun

1 - 4 of 4 Posts