The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a 24 hour urine test to try and get to the bottom of my ongoing and worsening Hyponatremia. Has anybody done one of these and were the results helpful??? I'm anxious to get to the cause of the low sodium as it's been causing me to faint with worrying frequency!:(

Love to all

Rachel

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi,
I had 24 hr urine test done last month, I'm newly diagnosed and was admitted to hospital for heart, lung and kidney tests as a baseline. At the time the rheuma said admission was necessary as I was in pain and the urine test would involve lots of trips back and forward to the hospital.
The urine test was simple-I'd had visions of catheters and other nasty things but in the end they just gave me a large (2.5 litre) horrible-looking brown pot with a screw-top lid to collect all urine for 24 hrs. My hands were bad at the time and I was convinced I'd drop it so the nurses gave me a smaller jug which I'd pour into the brown one. The pot was left in the bathroom for the 24 hrs and I had to remind them to collect it when I was leaving so I don't know why the rheuma admitted me.
My results were ok so I cant help with your other question but wanted to put your mind at rest in case you thought it might be painful.

·
11,410 Posts
Hi Rachel,

The 24hr urine test is a breeze. Just have to remember to keep the bottle in the refrigerator. :p
I had to do 2 of them last year. The first time someone lost part of the test. Everyone blamed everyone else for losing it.
I had it done to see how much protein was spilling from my kidneys.

I hope they can get to the bottom of all your troubles.:hug:Fainting that much would be awful.:(

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi:

Little Boots and keebler gave you info as to what its like...no biggie, just pee into something - (I use a plastic disposable cup) transfer to the jug (refrigerate). When u drop it off at the Dr or Lab they will draw blood. Then you wait for the results, mine takes 7-10 days to get, but all places are different.

I have mine done for protenurea, not sodium, but I must assume the procedure is the same.

I hope they find the answers fot you as soon as possible...not knowing is just the worst!

Best wishes - Stephanie

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kidneys leaking?

The doctor has just rung to say the urine test results show my kidneys seem to be leaking sodium hence my dangerously low levels :(....he is contacting my rheumy about it...does this make any sense to anyone as it just sounds real scary to me!
:worried:
Rachel

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Rachel, I don't understand what it means, but just wanted to send you a big ((( hug ))).

Someone else will be along shortly. You do need to discuss this with your doc though.

Deb x

·
Registered
67 Posts
rachel,
i have to do this test 3 or 4 times a year. the trick to getting the correct results is to get your bloods done when you bring it in. when the results if both come back the docs can see exactly whats happening with your kidney and can track the different levels between urine and blood and how active your lupus is. its a pain doing the test coz your tied to home all day but its better than being in hospital getting poked and stuff. dont worry you'll be fine
michelle

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Rachel,

I really have little knowledge of this but are you taking diuretics? Just a thought...........

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

love
Lily

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No not on diuretics so no answers there!:(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.