5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake
you’ll need....
4 Tablespoons cake flour
4 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons cocoa
1 Egg
3 Tablespoons milk
3 Tablespoons oil
3 Tablespoons chocolate drops (optional)
1 Mug
here’s what you do....
Add dry ingredients to the mug, and mix well.
Crack an egg and add it to your mug. Be sure to mix it
well to avoid any pockets of flour in the corners.
Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.
Add the chocolate drops if you’ve got them, and a splash
of vanilla essence too.
Pop your mug into the microwave & zap for 3 minutes on
maximum power (1000watt).
Wait until the cake stops rising, and sets in the mug.
If necessary, run a knife around the sides of the mug, and
tip the still warm cake out of the mug and onto a saucer.
Sit back and enjoy with a coffee - you deserve it!
this was one of those e-mails that goes everywhere... so i re-typed it ‘cos it’s cool. You can put diet ingredients in it- I did - multigrain flour etc. I've just finished eating mine- I used yoghurt over it. I used a big soup mug. It is delicious and e asy. Enjoy

·
Registered
376 Posts
Oh that looks so good. My 12 year old loves to bake and she could make this for us!!!! Not sure about chocolate drops. I've never seen anything like that here. It's optional though, so maybe we'll throw in a few chocolate chips! And I'm always looking for something for dessert!

Thanks for posting that.

Nutty

·
Registered
553 Posts
Must give this one a try sometime

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Just microwaving at the moment mine only goes up to 800watts, just have to cook it for a little longer!

Never ever cooked a cake in the microwave before (yikes)!

I'll post again when sampled!

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Well it worked and was yummy!

Microwaved it for 3 1/2 mins - think it would have been okay at 3 mins in my microwave.

I would recommend using the chocolate drops, flakes, or even just chocolate bars broken up - would add some nice gooh!

For all those people that will wonder about what size of jug, well I used a pint jug (1/2 litre approx) and this was just fine!

Thanks Mary!

This is a good receipe idea for kids to use and very simple and few utensils!

Hugs Lesley

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
It sounds a bit like the simple "steamed puddings" that you can make in the microwave. I have done a chocolate one many times and also ones with apple, apricot or any other type of compote. Great with custard if you're a custard fan.

I'll get round to trying this one too when I'm not thinking "no chocolate" "diet" and being boring about such things.

thanks for the recipe,
Katharine

·
Registered
376 Posts
Katharine;517798 said:
It sounds a bit like the simple "steamed puddings" that you can make in the microwave. I have done a chocolate one many times and also ones with apple, apricot or any other type of compote. Great with custard if you're a custard fan.
Katharine
Yum, would you mind sharing the recipe, especially the apple one?

Thanks.

Nutty

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Er yep,

the following serves 3 (don't ask me why 3...)

50g margarine (I have also used butter if you prefer)
50g sugar
1 egg (beaten)
100g self rasing flour (or add baking powder to normal)
3-4 tbsp milk (60ml)

Beat all together until smooth. Spoon into a pudding basin and cover (plate on top does the trick)
microwave on high for 3-4 minutes

variations (increase time slightly for added "wet" ingredients)
1. add drained apricot halves in the bottom of the bowl before putting in the pudding mix
2. add a layer of jam to the bottom of the bowl
3. add a layer of syrup (golden or whatever...) to the bottom of the bowl
4. add 2 tbsp of cocoa to mixture (stir in with rest)
4. mix in walnuts and/or dates

You might need to slightly adjust times or quantities depending on your microwave (I think I added more milk but I think I also always made double quantities), for double qts 6 minutes was enough cooking time.

I'll not tell you how to make custard as I have always just followed instructions on a tin :lol:

Katharine

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Sorry Nutty, the apples can obviously replace the apricot halves but best to use soft quite sweet ones not cooking apples.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Katharine, great minds think alike! Microwaving is a sort of steaming since the water molecules get joggled around or something like that, and I was just thinking any steamed pud recipe could be adapted. If you saved the little plastic tubs you get sticky toffee or syrup etc puddings in, in the UK, you could use those. Raisins, any fresh fruit upside down banoffee and muffin type mixes. Needless to say I threw out a whole lot of those little plastic bowls the other day but I think you can buy plastic moulds. Or ramekins or the little ovenproof bowls.
Our granddaughter loves a bit of pud although we have to avoid them
I confess I used whipped cream on mine and put walnuts in as well as a dash of strong coffee and a pinch of salt
I didn't find the egg was enough to mix in with the flour and sugar, perhaps because I used level but rather large serving spoons. Anyway I just added the oil and milk and beat with a wire whisk. I used a small overproof souffle dish because it made a perfect cake shape and I don't have mugs large enough.
It's the quickest home made dessert ever- thanks Mary ! :)

Clare

·
Registered
30 Posts
its 9.30 and your talking about chocolate.i havent got any ingridients in but i will tomoz cheers you guys im STARVING NOW

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I made this last night, It was yummy, but I think my nuker is off as it came out very rubbery on the top and gooey on the bottom, any suggestions?

Stephanie

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
This cake and the variations all sound so simple. I have lost my way with baking in recent years so these are really great for me. Except I am too fat!
x Lola

Have got the steroids down to 8mgms.so hope weight will come back under control.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
chocolate/coffee cake

Hi All
glad you found this recipe interesting, delicious. Thanks, Katherine, ;)for your variations. Yes when I tasted it, it did remind me of the steamed puddings at home years ago.

I actually did not have any chocolate drops or even cocoa. So I cheated, :wink2:eek:ne big desert spoon of coffee, and a big desert spoon of golden syrup (do you have it away from Australia?) together in the mix. I did enjoy it, as I said with yoghurt. Next time I'll try the variations.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Stephanie
I'd think of too hot or too long as explanations for the disappointing result. Or try reducing the amount of sugar. I used 'self raising' flour
Mine was good at only 850.

Better luck next time
Hugs
Clare

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
oh goodness, how did I miss this ! I just printed the recipe, handed it to my daughter (who is half way through a disney movie) - her reply 'man that looks good!.

I think I will be making it very soon.

cheers

Raglet

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Stephanie - it sounds like you have a higher power (hahaha) microwave - I mean a HOTTER one, or however you say it.

I'd try maybe 80% power, and test with a skewer (am I the only one who uses an old knitting needle ? A very clean old knitting needle .....

I think you will probably have to play around a bit to get it right - lucky you, you can make 10 of them, cook them all differently, then of course you have to do the taste test .....

cheers

raglet

·
Registered
36 Posts
jeez shows how long ago its been since I was on here!!

Just made the choc one & very much enjoyed it, stopped baking because I used to get distracted half way through & then wander what it was I was baking when I eventually remembered about it haha.

Recipe is great & quick (always a bonus)

Thanks

·
Brenda
371 Posts
I made this and it is GREAT! My microwave is more powerful than most. It boils water at a minute and a half so I set the time to two minutes and 30 seconds and it came out fine. A few seconds less would have been fine actually.

My dad is going to love this. His favorite dessert is chocolate cake straight out of the oven with butter spread on top.

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
376 Posts
We are hooked on this recipe as well. My 12 year old makes it for us at least every other night. Hubby doesn't like washing the mugs out, but we love the cake.

Thanks for posting that.

Nutty

1 - 20 of 29 Posts