The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had quite a week... and just realized last night that my daughter's continued red face (which I thought was from being out in the cold wind on Friday) is probably due to 5ths disease. She developed the more typical red lace rash on her body yesterday and all the mothers have talked about how it's running rampant through the schools. Her rashes/skin appearance had me a little freaked out actually given the similarity in appearance to Raynaud's and the red face is so similar to the lupus malar rash but I wasn't too worried as she is feeling absolutely fine!

Anyways, I'm now thinking that the red hands/feet and rash going up my wrists and up to my ankles and extreme itchiness that I had for about a week recently was probably 5ths disease also. Before my itchiness/rash started, I had what I thought was a return of my malar rash too.

My hands/feet are a bit swollen and I have numb fingertips which are now getting better but my joints in the knees, hands, and feet are extremely painful. Is it worth placing a call to any of my doctors about this - has anyone gotten 5ths already having lupus? 5ths can cause lingering joint pain in adults (and interestingly is also believed to sometimes possibly invoke SLE and other autoimmune disorders!)

I just have a feeling there is nothing they would do for me anyways, so why go in? I can't take NSAIDs due to kidney issues, narcotic pain relief makes me itch if I take a normal days dose, and apparently this is just something that has to run it's course. The joint pain could be lupus or an after effect of 5ths disease. I would imagine prednisone would not be a good idea either for a while at least...

The strange thing is I appeared to have gotten it first, beating my daughter for a week before she came down with it. Either that or I developed the telltale symptoms much faster and she gave it to me. There is a large variation in incubation period for this virus!

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Sorry to hear that you have been suffering with more joint pain and rashes!
Our children seem to bring home so many infections from school which make us feel worse without catching things themselves!

I never heard of 5th disease, is it a different name for slapped cheek (parvovirus), this does last a long time and infectious period starts way before rash appears. If so when one of my kids had this, after four weeks the intermittent rash just appeared as a circle line around his cheeks (GP was not even sure it was slapped cheek just an unusual virus!!!) Did look like discoid rash though!!

Take care and I hope you and daughter are feeling better soon!

Love Lesley

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi maia

I'm sorry to hear you & daughter have 5th disease :sad:

LESLEY...you are right it is also known as slapped cheek.:)

Maia personally I would see your gp even if it's just for advice although as you said there's probably nothing you can take for it?
my friends daughter had it a while back & I remember her having aching joints too..unfortunately it lasted weeks with her & apparently the virus can last months :worried: I hope it clears quickly for you though.

I am glad your DD is feeling better & I hope you feel better soon too.
Takce good care & get plenty of rest maia
sending you big hug's :grhug: karen x

·
Registered
300 Posts
My goodness Maia,

As if you didnt already have enough to contend with!

Sending you fast healing (((hugs))) , thoughts and prayers!

Feel well soon,
Sharon

·
Registered
84 Posts
Maia, I'm sorry to hear about your daughter coming down with the 5th disease. I'm also sorry to hear about your joint pain and swelling. I would call my Dr, even if there was nothing he/she could do. I hope you both feel better soon.

·
11,410 Posts
Hi Maia,

Sorry you have another thing to contend with.:hug:
I agree with the others, I think you need to just check in with your doctor to be on the safe side. You never know how our bodies react.

Take care and I hope this passes quickly for you and your daughter.

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Maia,

I have to agree about going to the doctor. If nothing else you want it notated in your chart notes. What do you take for pain control? Is it all narcotics even tramadol? ( I ask since tramadol is a bit different).

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With tramadol, if I take more than 2 doses in a day, I will still get the itchies. In fact, it makes me itch easier/worse than the other narcotics! But it's about the only thing I have been able to be prescribed for me for pain.

Interestingly, my finger pads are now peeling away. In big/thick sheets. Maybe I have something else going on here - at least it's not painful. Can't get in to see rheumy anytime soon so might just have to go the the GP on call tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Maia,

I like some of the other's had never heard of 5th's disease. I learned something new..I am glad, your daughter is feeling better.

I was glad to read, that you are going to dr, also. Lyn, is right. Our bodies, may react totally different, to a particular disease or virus..

Please, let us know how you get on?

Feel, better very soon, Maia.:)

Love,
Sandy

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Maia,

You've probably read this, and more, but for those who haven't heard of it:

http://www.hmc.psu.edu/childrens/healthinfo/pq/parvovirus.htm

Fifths is also called slapped cheek, and parvo.

I think it would be wise to see your GP - it does sound as though you are pretty unwell with it, and of course it could as you say be something else.

Get well soon:hugbetter:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Maia,:hug:
My daughter had it when she was little and it was before I was dx'd. I also don't think I got it, if I remember correctly.
I would see your gp just to get it checked out and make sure it is progressing as it should.

I hope you are not suffering too much. I feel bad that you can't take anything. Can you take a narcotic and maybe some benadryl, if it gets too bad?

Take care and hope your daughter does well.

Love,
Becca

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: doctor does not seem concerned and does not think it's a big deal apparently. I may have rheumy run the blood test just to confirm that I had 5ths disease, as it is evident in the blood & they can tell if it was recent too. I do recall my doctor testing me for the virus (parvovirus b19) when I first got sick and right before the ANA test was run that led me to a lupus diagnosis; back then it revealed I had never been exposed to parvovirus before. I'm pretty sure I've had it now.

I am feeling back to "normal" for me. The fingertips are regaining sensation after losing huge swaths of fingertip skin and I **think** the peeling away is stopping now. Still get a little bit here and there.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Maia,

Glad things are slowly getting back to "normal" for you! :p

Its funny how these things don't effect our kids in the least, but throws us for a total loop!

Sharon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts