The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks -

In January of this year I changed rheumatologists. My previous rheumy was based a 90 minute drive away and I found him fairly distant. He never asked for blood test results (in fact, until I changed rhuemys I didn't realise that is what rheumys are supposed to do and I'm diagnosed 8 years), never put me on plaquenil even though I had severe flares that required hospitalisation, just clicked my bones to check for inflammation on the odd time that I went to see him and then charged me €150 for that. I never really bothered too much with him and really just went to my GP.

To be fair to my previous rheumy, I haven't had much need of him. A different rhuemy put me on plaquenil one of the times that I was in hospital and that kept me pretty much flare free until this year.

Anyway, I changed rheumy, my new one is 15 minutes away and I now see the difference in being treated by a competent, caring professional. I wish I had this all along, but I just put up with my previous treatment because I didn't know any better. My current doctor has followed up all of my symptoms, she booked me into hospital for 3 days of tests, she has monitored my treatment. On Friday, she emailed me to see how I was feeling! I wrote back and gave her the results (platelet count low, white blood low, ESR slightly raised etc) and she rang me today (today is a bank holiday in Ireland). When she couldn't get me on the phone, she emailed, put me up to 40 mg of steroids, arranged an appointment on Thursday if I need it and gave me her mobile number to contact her if I need to speak with her.

I just thought I would share this with you because I know lots of people have difficulty with their doctors. I had that same difficulty and when I look back on how I was treated it makes me furious. Really, it was negligent to let me suffer like that for the first few years of my diagnosis. It is worth it to keep searching for a new doctor, one that will listen to you and treat you with respect.

This turned into a rant! Sorry for the long post ...

Nellie

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
WOW Nellie :) :) What a difference :woohoo:

Thank you very much for sharing this story. It is an excellent illustration that reinforces what we keep saying - DON'T GIVE UP and KEEP on PUSHING for answers!!!

I am so so very happy for you and I'm sure the info will also be useful to others in Ireland where there are too few good, caring rheumies - sounds like you've found a jewel :)

Katharine (grinning form ear to ear for you)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
It is wonderful that you have found such a gem. May the improved care mean improved quality of life for you!
All the best,
Douglas+

·
11,409 Posts
Wonderful news Nellie.:yahoo:
I am happy you have a keeper.

Take care,
Lyn

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am so jealous! :lol:

My rheumy will be retiring this month so I'll have to find a new rheumy, hopefully it'll be a good one too. But I'm glad you found a really good rheumy.

-Melissa

·
Registered
217 Posts
Good for you! My hospital doctors are great, but my GP surgery is full of morons - I'm going to find another one! The last straw came this morning when they refused me a repeat prescription for pred, saying I should have a months supply left (I've got till next tuesday). I'm going to have to make an appointment to sort it out - cos obviously I don't have anything better to do :mad:
Sorry, that turned into a bit of a rant, I'm glad you found a good rheumy!

:hehe:

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Nellie,

Its great to hear when things go well!

Let hope all those other people seeking diagnose and treatment never give up and seek good medical care and answers...just like you!

(((Fairy))), just thought i'd say (although not 100% positive), but in UK Pred is not put on a prescription as a repeat. It is always one of those meds that you have to make an appt for to be issued with another dose!

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Nellie,
You can't be more right about the right doctor makes all the difference in the world. I am glad that you have found one of them and that you have shared with others in your area (they all need it). I hope you continue to have a good ralationship with your doctor and he helps you to the best of his ability.

Be well and keep sharing the good news we love to hear good things too.

·
The one and only
1,978 Posts
A good rheumy is hard to find... Glad that you finally found one!!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just want to say that I saw 6 or 7 Rhemys before finding the one I have now.We have to drive 2 1/2 hours one way. but she really tries to help and she really seems to care. She calls me or always has the nurses call me. What makes this so amazing is I live near a womens hospital with supposed lupus specalist and well what a joke. If you know what I mean!!!!:mad:Believe me I know about pain!!!!!!!! But you have to find a doctor that is willing to help!!!!!!!!!:)

·
Lisa_S
441 Posts
I find the issue with prednisone is that my dosages change pretty often, since the intent is to keep me on it long enough to help while balancing all of the nasty side effects, so a regular "repeat" isn't really an option.

Fairy, is your GP not aware that stopping prednisone suddenly if you've been on it for a long time at a high dose can be quite dangerous?!?! "Running out" certainly isn't a good way to stop taking it!

Lisa

·
Registered
217 Posts
Apparently it was some kind of 'computer glitch'. The gp was very apologetic about it, so I couldn't bring myself to be angry with them, but it was certainly hassle I could've done without! Best bit was having to drive round trying to find an open chemist, because I couldn't get an appointment with the GP until the evening before I ran out - nothing like cutting it fine :hehe:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts