TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The one and only
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, haven’t been on this site in about 2 years…. The last time I was on here, I had finished up my Rituxan treatments and thought I was in remission. And let me tell you, what a remission it has been… Last summer was probably the BEST summer ever for me… I lost about 45 lbs. I have been at the gym working out and loving. Hanging out with my friends, no problems, dating, etc. and then it happened. 2 ½ years of happiness, ended… I got sick back in December 2007, cold and flu symptoms. Had a VERY bad menstrual period in December and January 2008,, found out that my platelets had dropped again, below 20,000 and landed back in the hospital again. I received the IVIG and prednisone and I think my platelet count was up to about 235,000. I stayed on prednisone until May and had a doctors appointment set for this month. When I sent in my platelets had dropped back down to 56,000. My doctor wanted to see what it would do in a week and when I got them rechecked they were down to 40,000 PLUS my hemoglobin had dropped, she had wanted to put me the WinRho treatments, but with the low hemoglobin that was no longer an option. So Rituxan came up again and my doc remembered that I had responded so well on it last night so it was a go. I had my first treatment on June 20th, my birthday, and will have 3 more done for the next 3 Fridays. My question is, how many times can you actually take Rituxan. Is there a limit on how much your body can take? Lord knows I LOVE Rituxan,,, I feel so good afterwards… but the lasting effects for the drug isn’t very long… about 18-24 months. So am I going to have to keep doing this for the next 10 years? Not sure if someone knows a lot about the chemotherapy.

Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
nobody really knows how long you can safely have it, nor if the b cells stay supressed for as long in subsequent treatments.

I have just had my second treatment. I got some improvement, but not remission.

Personally I would just go for it - but the best person to talk to this about is your doctor.

No one is going to be able to guarentee what is going to happen over the years, especially not in terms of disease flares

cheers

raglet

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
Hi Kasha,

Sorry to hear you have been feeling so bad. Hopefully the Rituxan will start working quickly.

A two and a half year remission, that is fantastic. Like Raglet I don't get a complete remission but the Rituxan sure makes a difference. So far I have had 3 rounds. My rheumy plans to keep me on it as long as it works for me and the insurance keeps approving it.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
The one and only
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really,

So I could actually go through all of this in a couple of years.... wow.... my last round of Rituxan hasn't been all that great.... Wow... I guess that all I can do is pray for a longer remission period after this treatment is over. Wow.... this is so much still unknown in the world of Lupus.... Pray for better health to the both of you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts