TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont know exactly how to describe it when i open then close my mouth i hear the ticking sound then sometimes i hear and feel this crinkling sound this happens on and off. any idea has anybody experience this. on was to describe the sound and feeling could be: you know that gum that came out years ago that when you chew it it makes a noise sort of like popping noise, but its more like the crinkling sound, i hope this makes sense.

just wanted to know if anybody has ever experienced this.:)

i have an appt in a couple of weeks for a hearing test. i did tell the ent doctor about the knocking and ringing in my ears but forgot to mention the crinking and ticking sound. thanks everyone:)

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Hi Sushi,

I tend to have have sinus issues and problems with ear wax. It can take months after a sinus event for my ears to clear. During that time I get all kinds of little noises as things move around and the pressure changes. It is especially noticeable when I am laying on the pillow and switch my head to the other side. Yours may not be the same thing. I would definitely mention it to the doctor to get his opinion.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi Sushi,
What you are describing sounds like "tmj" aka temporomandibular joint problems. Depending on the severity, you can get benefit by wearing a dental device similar to a retainer at night. It is called a "night guard" and puts just enough distance between your upper and lower jaws so you can't clench your jaws or grind your teeth.

I suggest you get in to see your dentist to have it diagnosed and treated.
Sally

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you very much lazylegs.

Pink Pearl thank you very much for this information i have a dentist appt. on the 22nd and will ask my dentist about this. i looked up tmj on webmd and it describes my symptoms except for the pain.

thanks again.:):)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi Sushi,
TMJ can and often does cause pain. It is nothing to play with as I am sure you found from the info you looked up.
Good luck with your dental appt.
Sally

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi, I thought I had TMJ, but my dentist says it is chronic Arthritis in my jaw. I f you have a stethoscope, put it to the area in front of your ear where the jaw connects and open and close your mouth. When I do this it sounds like rocks crushing. Also, when I put my fingers in the connecting jaw area, I can feel one side bulge out when I open and close my mouth. Glad you have a dental appointment. I find applying warm, moist compresses relives the pain. Keep us posted. Rosie

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi Rosjac, i have the ticking sound when i open then close my mouth but no pain at all. thank you for telling me about your experience.:) also, when i get on the treadmill i hear the crinkling noise in the back of my lower head.
(really weird):lol:

·
Nettyunicorn
133 Posts
Hi sushi, i have had the same sound in the back of my head, just about where the head joins the neck, i can even make the noise if i walk or turn my head slightly. I though perhaps it was stiffness and/or inflammation there. Or perhaps fluid sloshing round in the ear that i can suffer from. I get an achy jaw but no sound!

I will keep watching this post to see others views and ideas.

Thanks

Netty from sunny devonxxx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts