The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy all

hope everyone is doing well today. i just have to share this with you guys. it happened a few days back but i have been having internet connection issues (ain't technology grand :eek:)

anyway, as you may remember i was quite ill the past three weeks and needed to renew my drivers license during that period. well i called the dmv. i asked if i could still renew my license even it was expired, only by six days. she said "oh sure." i then asked, what do i need to bring as far as residencey, she said " either a passport or a birth certificate" well i don't have a passport but i do have my birth certificate from the state of tennessee. she asked "is it an original?" i said yes, "well then your good to go". so last saturday joe and i are off to the dmv. got there, line not too long, waited about an hour. not bad for the dmv. they called my number and i go upto the counter, guy checks birth certificate, says look into the eye test monitor, i read it, he said good, you passed. so he went to his computer, and thats when i knew...houston we have a problem!!! :eek:.

the manager/supervisor comes over and tells me that since i'm changing my name i need my marriage license. i explained to her that i'm just renewing my drivers license not changing my name, and that i was told to bring my birth certificate to prove i was a us citizen. she says "no...your name does not match the drivers license". i said i know but i have had this name on this license for over 20yrs. she said "but you have no proof that you changed your name." now i'm beginning to get irritated :screamin:... she asked "your name has a ck as your middle intials, i said yes i do. she ask "why?" i told that i was married before and that name started with a K. she asked "what is the C for?" i told her, that my maiden name, see on the birth certificate. then she says "well how do i know this is your birth certificate and that these names on real?" ...ok now the blood pressure is rising :hissy:...i began to explain to this silly dolt that i was born with the name carter (C), at 16 i got married and got a new last, knighten (K) and at age 26 i got married again with a new last name of wilson (W). explains it all quite well i thought...WRONG!!:angry:. she proceeds to tell me that need all of my marriage licenses and divorce papers to prove who i am. i told her this is completely stupid. obviously i have had legal name changes do to the fact that i have had this license for this state for over 20yrs and have renewed before many times that it had been confirmed. then she starts spouting the NEW RULES SINCE 9/11 i was about to scream :yell:. then she showed me this paper of required documents, and indeed said if you are changeing your name you MAY need to bring other documentation. i told her that it doesn't say mandortory says may as might need. she asks "how did you get this name on the birth certificate" :wall: i said, as i told you, i was born with it, haven't had that last name since i was 16 yrs old and i'm now 50. i finally said, look either renew the dang license or don't so i can home and call my state representive. she said "you don't have to threaten me" i said who threatening you this is just fact and what i am going to do. my gosh if i had a gun... well finally she ran my social sercurity number and said "well this time i will make an exception and put it thru. so after 2and half hours which should have been an hour long task i finally got my license. and i don't even drive anymore :eek:.
sorry it was so long but i just had to share, joe thought it was funny, i didn't at least not at the time

take care
hugs and kisses

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
My goodness..

I hope you weren't feeling too unwell that day. I imagine, all the attention to detail will worsen in the future.

You poor lady, having to deal with such a nit pic.

I am glad you can look back and laugh at the situation now. :lol:

Love,
Sandy

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I'd have been in a real pickle. My mom lost my birth certificate and have had to make do with a copy. Should I have taken my baby book? Yeeeesssshhhhhhhh!

Sad that she only got off her high horse when you had to talk about contacting representatives. Sorry you had to do that.
Sally

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Spell Binder,

Somehow I have managed not to see this post until today. Not sure why? Guess I need to take my blinders off my face.:lol::lol::lol:

I did not have these kind of issues with DMV yet when it comes to my son and anything that deals with him...ie: School, Doctors, etc...I run into the same kind of issues all the time.

My son has my maiden name and I of course have my husbands last name. You would not believe the issues I have been faced with due to the difference in a last name.

I get questions all the time......."Can you tell me why your last name is different then your sons?"...blah, blah, blah........ARE YA KIDDING ME???

I have been so frustrated that I have spelled it out for people in not so nice terms. Nothing like making a mountain out of a mole hill and causing issues that are really irrelevant to a situation.

So, even though my story is not a equal match to yours I just wanted you to know that I completely understand your frustration with "NAME" issues.

It is a lesson in futility!!!:wink2::wink2::wink2:

Glad you got your license after all that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.