TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only got paid yesterday and already I have had to unexpectedly buy a new tyre. $135 which included repairing another tyre that had a slow leak

Well, that was ok, no biggie, I like having decent tyres on the car so I didn't mind ........... but now the dog is limping and needs a trip to the vet tomorrow (she gets infections between her pads on her feet, and I am guessing it's that, again). Then I drove home from doing the groceries after walking the dogs I stopped at the top of the drive to get the mail out of the letterbox. That wasn't too traumatic, only my tax pack (yippee, no bills), but when I jumped back into the car and tried to clip up my seat belt, it wouldn't stay done up. Totally kaput.

AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, tomorrow, as well as taking the dog to the vet (probably around $100) I also have to somehow get my seatbelt fixed (who knows what that will cost) AND somehow get myself to work in a car with no drivers seat safety belt.

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't really complain, I am not in any significant debt, I work enough to get by, so it is only one of those temporary glitches.

Now I am just wondering if I can get the whole household to sit on my dog so I can use antibiotic cream (from the vet) which does work, but she HATES having her paws messed with. And honestly, wrestling with a large dog three times a day to get cream on a paw that she REALLYdoesn't want messed with is an overated pastime. She seems to get this when the ground gets wet and mud etc gets into feet (severely atopic so her skin can get pretty ick and she chews at feet). And if one foot gets infected, it usually spready to the others (I think she transfers the infection with all the incessant licking she does) and then oral antibiotics are inevitable.

If it does spread she ends up like a cat on hot bricks, which is why it can't wait. Then it's one very sad dog who can't come for a walk with our other dog until it is all healed. Which all means that I need to get her to the vet ASAP - not serious, but very uncomfortable for her.

oh well, that's life I guess, and I have a lot to look forward to with my trip to canada coming up. Feeling a little like I may be getting a sinus infection, which would put off my next rituxan/cytoxan treatment (scheduled next week) - geesh, I am just happy for anything that keeps me out of hospital so sinus infection here I come!

thanks for listening to my grumble

raglet

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Raglet,
Doesn't it seems when it rains it pours!!!!:( For us finances are always tight since I don't work and am waiting for my ss hearing. My hubby and I never see eye to eye on these money matters which makes it worse.
Gas$$$ is what is killing us. My hubby drives alot and is constantly having to fill up. I tend to buy easy to cook stuff which costs a little more and he doesn't like it. I just do not have the energy to cook from scratch or to cook meals every night.

Sorry about your dog-we had a emergency vet bill last month-$385:eek:puppy needed stitches and of course it was in the evening. I croaked. We have to provide for these animals, just the same. I am trying to convince the daughter to become a vet, but the sight of puppy's blood had her:sick:, so who knows:lol:.

Let us know how it all goes and I hope you can find a seatbelt tomorrow:wink2:

Hugs,
Becca

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
omg how funny !

My other dog (large golden retriever) just appeared in the living room carring a carton of a dozen eggs in his mouth ! And he didn't even break any - being a bird dog he has an amazingly gentle mouth.

Now I have seen dogs retrieve a lot of things, but never a dozen eggs before ! Which reminds me, I really must go unpack all those groceries before he starts retrieving a few other items .....

raglet

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Becca, hope that puppy of yours is feeling better.

I know the struggle between the more expensive easy to cook stuff and made from scratch - it's crazy, I can get funding for someone to come and cook me a meal everynight as part of my homehelp (funded by the health board) but I'd love even 1/4 of what that would cost for me to buy some easy to cook stuff I could prepare in a minute. It would drive me nuts to have someone arrive at 6pm everynight to cook dinner, but no, that's not the way the funding works.

cheers

raglet

·
Registered
580 Posts
Raglet, that was so funny that your dog carried a carton of eggs and didnt break one. that was my first laugh of the day!:lol::lol::

besides the gas going up ridiculously everything else seems to be going up as well too. I noticed groceries going up everytime i go to the market. Instead of taking 2 of everything i only take one.

now adays we have to really watch every penny. the other day i went to a restaurant with my family. and when we got the check the bill came out to about $87. the waitress asked us if we needed change out of a $100 bill.

my husband said no. but i looked at him like he was crazy, i know they work hard but now a days a 13 dollar tip is a bit too much for me.

everything seems to go up except one thing and thats your paycheck, unfortunetly.:eek::eek:

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Hi Raglet,

It sucks when everything goes wrong in one day.... And the next day you get up and the sun shines ;);)... We have two dogs so I know what you mean about vet bills... We also have a grandog... and we have helped out with his vet bills as my daughter could not .... We were going to adopt him when he was five weeks old, the guy that had him was going to put him down, my husband said no, dont do that.. We already had two dogs at home so My daughter said if I could babysit him during the day she would take him... so that is what we did... You see he has no eyes .... and after a while we found out he had other issues... But he is worth all the money we put into him... he is an amzing dog... He can get around like any of our sighted dogs and he goes for walks with us, he plays with the other animals .....
I think we all have had days when everything and anything goes wrong... You wonder why you got out of bed....
I hope everything goes well for the rest of the week... And that your dog is ok...
Take care of yourself

Love Penny
ps.. where are you going in Canada?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I so sympathise about the bills! I'm waiting day by day for my tax refund and trying to stave off the homeowners association that is threatening to take my house. I need to get an oil change on the car, all three cats need their shots, Xena needs more of her medication and I only paid $40 each on my credit card bills last month.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Glad I am not alone in moaning about bills. Gas is astronomical here and it costs me £72 to fill my tank!!!! :eek:

That's...
141 US dollars
90 Euros
139 Canadian Dollars
147 Aussie Dollars
181 NZ Dollars

See how global I am :rotfl:

Hope your pup is better soon Raglet.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Dee
302 Posts
Raglet have you tried dog boots? it could save dollars on those vet bills if the problem keeps happening, you can get some crazy colours in them too :lol:

my daughter had her dog to the vet this week too, a swollen ear, £98 to be operated on, but then they wants £10 for ear drops.
I should have been a vet, the amount of animals our family has it would save a fortune :lol:

I had some good news today, a council tax rebate,:hehe:
so now I only pay £40 a month instead of £81 :)
I hope something else dosen;t turn up wanting the extra cash I save lol

·
Registered
580 Posts
wow loopyloo! 141 us dollars thats alot of money. and yea i see how global you are very nice.:lol::lol:

me and my husband have declared bankruptcy. my house is in foreclosure right now 2007 was a bad year and everything went downhill. and with everything going up it just gets worse. but we are trying to save our home
he has a second part time time and i also started working with him in the same place.

i just hope things get better soon.:)

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
It never ends Raglet, it's a vicious cycle of money coming in and going out almost immediately :rolleyes:

Just as a matter of interest how much is petrol per gallon in the USA?

love
Lily

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Raglet you need a nice rich partner :lol: if it's worth the hassle that is :lol:

I hope your dog is ok and I hope you stay well enough to have a wonderful time next week!!!!!! :fingers:
can't wait to hear all about it!

love karen x

(((((sushi))))) I will keep you in my thoughts..wishing you lot's of luck with your house.:luck: x x

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the car was $249

the vet was $238 (she's a mess - two weeks of antibiotics for her skin, cream for her paws, ear drops for her ears which the vet said looked fungal, plus two injections BUT she is already looking better and not chewing on her feet anymore)

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but, they say bad luck comes in threes, I am hoping this it is for me on the financial front. I am just very pleased that only the vet went on the credit card, although I had to take the seat belt money out of my savings for servicing the cars transmission.

hope the world is treating you kindly

raglet

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
The price of gas is quite variable in the US depending on where you live, but the average is about $3.85 a gallon over the entire country. Many regions are paying $4.50 though too...

It's gone up a lot in the last 4 years especially. Before then, it was almost always $1.50 a gallon or less!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Thanks Maia,

Spare a thought for us then, allowing for exchange rates and conversion of gallons to our litres it is the equivalent to $6-00 a gallon here and going up each day.

love
Lily

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Raglet

I hope you can replenish those savings soon. Its such a pain when all these unexpected bills hit at once. I just dont know how someone who cant work manages at all:worried:

My brother has some Yorkshire Terriers and last year one of them had to get an eye operation to save his sight. It cost them almost €2000 - something about a procedure that was using the very latest in vet technology! :eek: And that didnt even include an overnight stay in the vets!!

Oh Lily, I just did a calculation here based on May 2008 petrol figures. In Ireland a gallon of petrol is equal to $9.46 NZ or $7.75 AUS. Its getting as pricey as liquid gold!

Sorry Raglet - its turning into a petrol price thread!
Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
and here diesel is 8.82 US dollars per gallon - wow all that calculation, so early in the morning. I have no idea for petrol as I don't use it.

Katharine

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
And I remember when my mother had me looking for gas at 31 cents a gallon instead of 32 or 33!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Sounds like it's going up everywhere, as are all the bills. Gas has gone up about 15 cents here since I last posted! I think countries that don't have enough refineries to meet their needs end up paying a LOT more than the countries that have refineries. They have to pay for shipping of crude oil and shipping of finished gasoline. I think they said an oil rich country in the middle east though is only paying 45 cents a gallon still though...

I know the pain of pet bills all too well having forked out well over $4000 this past year already. A horse needed surgery (c-section) and a dog needed surgery (toe amputation) and both dogs needed antibiotics, and one was hospitalized for 2 days with acute severe vomiting/diarrhea last fall. Pets are SO expensive but so worth it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts