The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with abatacept for their lupus? My rheumatologist is looking into this drug for me. Phase II or III clinical trials were just completed in november but I can't find data from them anywhere. I am somewhat frustrated because I'm up to 20mg metho +hydroxychloroquine and have needed 20+ doses of prednisone. Right now I'm not on the prednisone (I have a broken foot that won't heal with the prednisone) but am having fevers, night sweats, fatigue, malar rash and joint pain should soon follow.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear you're unwell at the moment...

I've never taken orencia but it is one of the meds that was discussed as a possibility when rituxan failed in my case. It's an approved treatment for rheumatoid arthritis already and is currently undergoing trials for lupus as you said! Here's some links to a couple of sites with information on orencia:

http://www.orencia.com/orencia/home/index.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_empty.aspx?articleid=358&zoneid=76

Hope you feel better soon,

:foryou:

Zoi

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Allerian,

Have you ever been on Imuran or Cellcept? While any immune suppressing medication is going to have side effects, the newer biologics are usually saved for use when older treatments have failed. I have been on Enbrel for a little over a year now and recently found out from my podiatrist that the concern over infections when a patient is on Biologics is much greater than with methotrexate and imuran type meds.

I hope your foot heals and that your doctor is able to come up with a treatment program that stabilizes things for you.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as immunosuppressives go I have tried Metho, Hydroxychloroquine, Arava and Humira. I was give the option a while back between Cellcept and Imuran and chose the Arava because I was having mostly joint problems. The infection risk might be a concern because I'm a medical student and work with sick patients all the time. I just want to feel better and not keep needing bursts of steroids! Obviously if I'm needing the steroids things aren't under control.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts