The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Can you please clarify something for me!

I thought I had read somewhere that Lupus can cause abnormal smear results?
I have had a severely abnormal smear, and as a result had to go and have a loop diathermy (which is to basically remove the affected part of the cervix) I am now waiting for the results, I just wondered if it was part of it or not??

Thanks
Beci

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hi Beci,

Just to let you know that I will be extremely interested in this post.

I too have had an abnormal cervical smear over 6 months ago. Recently I have had a follow up smear and am waiting for results. I have a friend who has the same and had bad news.
Mostly abnormal smears are not to worry about but one cannot help worry in some sense.

I too asked the same question as you a while ago and I believe there is some mention of there being a higher incidence in lupus patients.
I will see if I can find a link to the thread.

Nicky

·
Registered
15,684 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your replies and the links you have posted. I'm not on any regular treatment for lupus yet just had various things inc prednisolone and anti-inflams and I had a CIN3?? It is strange tho.... :hehe:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
That is definitely a high grade of dysplasia and I'm glad to hear you'll be getting the treatment for it soon. It is believed that almost all cases of dysplasia are caused by HPV. Lupus patients aren't unique though in terms of infection with HPV - current estimates are that up to 80% of adults have been infected with it by age 50 or so. It's just that for some reason we have an increased tendency for it to progress to dysplasia instead of the body quickly fighting it off.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi there,
I just wanted to add that I, too, have had abnormal pap tests in the past. I had a cone biopsy and laser surgery for precancerous cells. That lasted for about 5 years. After the surgery I had to have a colposcopy (fancy pap test) every 6 months until a couple of years ago. I have been free and clear since then. From what I'm hearing, it's very common in women with lupus. Just another thing to add to the list!

Angie

·
Registered
184 Posts
I also have had cervical problems for yrs, I too had the leep procedure where they removed the part of your cervix with the bad cells , I have also had plenty of biopsys and even the freeze done, it was yrs before being diagnosed so I can't say if I see the connection but everyone is different, Good luck with the procedure its not really painful just uncomfortable at least my experience was!!
Hope you feel better soon!! :)

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Beci, I am sorry that you are not feeling well, but as one of the ladies said,
I also will be very interested when you post the outcome. I don't even have a GYN,
as my GP told me that I didn't need one. So please post your results, I have
good wishes for you.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hi Beci,

I also had high grade dysplasia and needed the cold knife cone biopsy to remove the precancerous tissue. They also did the HPV test and I showed up positive for that. I have read that lupus patients do not get rid of HPV like a normal person would, which probably then would make sense as to why our paps tend to be abnormal since HPV causes that.

Take care,

Lisa

1 - 10 of 10 Posts