The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all me again,:lol:

am just getting my thoughts and questions ready for when i go dr's on thursday, i am usually quite happy to leave with them telling me as little as possible but am determined to try and get some answers this time! trying to be strong :hehe:

from reading your posts it sounds that your joints are very painful with swelling, heat etc.. i have aching joints more than painful, i do need to take paracetamol for them to keep it bearable - cant take any thing stronger or nsaids as asthmatic and dont agree. i waswondering if it was usual to not have swelling of heat etc.. i obviosly have some inflammation going on as for the past 4 years i have not had a normal ESR but dont have signs of obviosu swelling?

again apologies if i post a few questions here like i say trying to build up a list of suitable questions for the gp apt! :rolleyes:

as always thanks for your advice and help.

chelle :)

·
4,445 Posts
hiya.. very usual. My joints ached and creaked to the point where I couldn't pick up a glass or open a cupboard... no swelling in sight!! My inflammatory markers were not much raised either.. but the pain was horrific!! I do swell when I flare but general day to day pain was without swelling.. good to get all the info you need before your appointment..;) wish you the best.XX

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there :)

It is quite common in lupus to have painful joints but that don't necessarily swell. It is also unusual for lupus to actually "damage" joints, they just hurt. Apart from my ankles and very occasionally knees, my joints never swell but they certainly do hurt and I can very much recognise and feel periods of intense inflammation where I need to take extra NSAIDS on top of the pred and other meds I'm usually on.

Katharine

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hi Mishmash!

I have SLE!

I have never had any swelling with my painful joints!

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi, I have lupus and my joints are painful but never swelled until this year, when my swollen hot joints have been diagnosed as RA. Sometimes we can have overlaps. Don't worry about no swelling, just empashise the pain and how it affects you day to day. Hope it goes well.

Take care

Deb

·
11,410 Posts
Hi,

I have the painful joint problem. I didn't think they were swollen but my rhumey sure can tell. To me I cant see the swelling.
Although my rhumey seems to find every single painful one when he exams me.:( Then they are very sore after the appointment.

As you can see it can be either way.

Good luck with your next doctor appointment.
Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi all

thank you for your feedback and experiences - all these problems make it so hard for people to believe you are feeling ill! i sometimes feel like such a fraud when going dr's - so much easier when it is a physical problem you can actually see!

chelle

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
My hands & feet swell & are painful, My left knee swells sometimes, i just hurt with the rest of my body.
Were all different.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.