The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have had discoid lupus for 15 years. Many of the medications that I have tried I have had allergic reaction. The past 5 years, I have taken 200mg of Dapsone. This week I was told that I can no longer take this medicine because it is hendering the abillity of my hemoglobin to transport oxygen. Now my dermatologist has sent me to a rheumatologist, who said that because I have discoid lupus, I need to be with a dermatologist.

I would like to know if anyone has tried accupucture and how successful it may be as opposed to traditional medicine.

I would appreciate any help with deciding my future treatment.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi there, :wavey:

I am Pam from the UK and was diagnosed with SLE in 2006. Acupuncture is mostly known for helping with pain but it can assist with so many conditions these days.

My rheumatologist referred me for accupuncture last year to help with joint and muscle pain. I was sceptical at first but it has really worked for me. My first treatment increased my symptoms for 3 days then they improved dramatically. It is common for that to happen.

I've recently gone back for treatment due to a recent flare and again I feel the benefits. I have to add that I use it in addition to taking the anti-malarial Plaquinel along with occasional pain relief. Also bear in mind that it may not work for everyone or could take several treatments.

I've pasted a link below from this site about acupuncture and Discoid Lupus.

http://www.uklupus.co.uk/news120.html

Hope that helps.

Hugz, :hug:

Pam xxx

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi

I have had lots of sessions for joint pain (ankles) and it didn't do a thing for me. However, for the nerve pain in my arm from lots of scar tissue I had some good results. I also had an initial increase in pain but after a few sessions the reaction became less.

As Pam says, not everyone receives benefit from acupuncture and it may take several sessions. I was lucky enough to have mine on the NHS by my physiotherapist, otherwise it would have been expensive over several weeks.

A good therapist should ask about your medical history and medications. Mine was worried about sugar levels and blood pressure, as I nearly passed out after my first "good" session. (Acupuncture can lower blood sugar levels dramatically.)

Let us know how you get on.

Love Judi xx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for responding. I haven't decided if I am going to try acupuncture yet, but glad to know that if I do, I need to not be alarmed if I "Flare" before seeing positive results.
I know that acupuncture can be used to boost your immune system. But, my thoughts are my immune system is what is attacking my skin, do I want to boost my immune system of not. I know that sounds crazy, but do you see my rational.
I think I may make an appoinment for a consultation and see what they think. My theory is it can't hurt to ask.

·
Mildly stricken; blue
100 Posts
Acupuncture has done amazing things as far as my pain is concerned. It's like magic! Almost immediately, my hand/foot bone pain passes, so much so that I forget what it's like. Then, I'll slack and start going less regularly, and within a few weeks my symptoms return and flare again.

I wasn't expecting it to do much of anything, but it really, really has helped me! I go to the East/West Clinic at UCLA - the doctors are MDs who specialize in eastern medicine. So, while they do the acupuncture, they can also talk to you about your labs or other "western"-type concerns. For anyone who lives in the Los Angeles area, I highly, highly recommend them!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.