The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just been diagnosed with SLE. Medication is messing me up and I am being urged to try Acupuncture. Does anyone have any experience directly related to Lupus. Did it help? Did it lessen the pain? Did it lessen the symptons? Did you get ANY sleep? Thanks to anyone who can reply:rotfl:

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Acupuncture

i have had acupuncture on my knee for swelling and yes i would recomend it i have had it twice once at hospital with physio second time my own physio at our surgery did it for me she had just finished a course on it and asked me if i minded practising on me:lol: :lol: but yes if you feel it would help go for it :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't think I could have gone on if it wasn't for acupuncture. My muscles and joints hurt me sooo much and I didn't want to take medication either so I gave acupuncture a try. It gave me my life back and helped tremendously with my anxiety as well. I slept better and I just basically felt normal. My lupus has progressed to my organs so I had no choice to get on medication but I still receive acupuncture treatments because I benefit from it so much for other needs. I hope you'll give it try but just keep in mind you may feel lousy for a few days before you feel better. No different than medication I suppose. Take care!

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Welcome to the forum Linzi

There are many complementary therapies that can help cope with lupus symptoms and might mean less medication and certainly bring increased general well being and overall health. Dietary revision, stress reduction techniques life stye adaptations for example.

However it is generally agreed that medicines can have an invaluable and irreplacable role to play in disease modification or even be essential and life saving. There is no way of knowing how the disease will progress and not taking medicine initially could mean needing more powerful medicines later on. Who can say, but there are plenty on this board who regret relying soley on complementary/ alternative therapies.

The important thing is to make informed decisions. This might include investigating the medicines you are on - knowing why have they been prescribed and can the side effects be avoided for example, and are there alternative medications that might be more acceptable.
Whatever you decide make sure you have regular check ups for hidden signs of worsening disease such as blood problems and urine.

Good luck
Clare

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had acupuncture for lupus and back pain pre-lupus. I did find it helpful in both cases.

I'm not going right now for financial reasons, but I do hope to start again if we find the cash! :)

I'm a big proponent of acupuncture, it was the only thing that ever worked on my back pain in over 10 years.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
I did not have much benefit from accupuncture. The one thing it did do for me was with Costochondritis. The pain went away and I didn't have an attack for a long time after I stopped the accupuncture ( like 2 years). I did have pain relief while the needles were in me and I was always very rested when I got up afterwards. The relief never even lasted 24 hours.

I would go back now for the costochondritis if I could afford it. At the time I was having all the treatments it was a dear friend treating me for free.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Linzi,

I have been getting acupuncture at my local hospital for the last 10 months and it has prevented me from going on stronger medication.

I've found a huge benefit with it for pain relief but it doesn't work for everyone. Please be aware that the first session can make you feel worse for a few days before feeling better. A good therapist will explain this to you. I am not completely med free - I take the anti-malarial Plaquinel and pain relief as and when required.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi there

Linzi, thanks for your post. I was dianosed SLE & Fibromyalgia about 6 months ago and also on Planqunil.

I tried acupuncture for the first time yesterday and was in soooo much pain last night, and this morning I literally could not walk for hours. My ankles were not supporting and my knees felt like they were going to pop out with my weight. I am feeling a lot better at this moment but I was so worried. I was so lucky its Saturday and my hubby was home to help me.

The Chinese medical practitioner suggested I come back for weekly sessions of acupuncture and that I go on some herbs make into capsules, but I am unsure. I have heard to be very careful with mixing meds without advise from my rheumatologist.

Any thoughts? Thank you again, your post relieved my fear.

Shell

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Seashell and welcome to the boards,

As I noted in my post, the first acupunture treatment can exacerbate your symptoms for 2-3 days before you feel the benefit. I started on weekly treatments then tapered to monthly.

I would advise caution in taking herbal medicine without the support of your rheumatologist as some herbs can stimulate the immune system. As lupies we have to be extra careful.

I hope you enjoy the boards as much as I have and I look forward to getting to know you.

Hugz, :hug:

Pam xxx

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Pam,

Thank you, I am so glad to find this site. I until yesterday I had not spoken to another person with Lupus. I have never been one for "groups"; I never went to play group with either of my kids when they were babies. But I have to say the relief I felt speaking with other people in the same or similar boat was unexpected. So thank you so much Pam, I found this site because of your post! ((((((:)-) )))))))

And thank you for the advice I am going to get in contact with my rheumy tomorrow about the acupunture and chinese herbs.

Looking forward to a chat!

Shell xo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts