TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is in the wrong place....:).......i have been told to have more bloods done by the Dr at the lupus clinic at st thommies...because she thinks i may have Hepertitus C.....from a blood transfusion i had in 1987..:worried:.....as my liver tests keep going up over the past year or so...and the symptoms of flu like..aches ....rashes....ect are about the same?.....are they?....so much for the dx in april 06 of mild lupus then?.....:rolleyes:......any input would be great...well if it is then at least i know what s going on?!!.....so if anyone can advise would be good...many thanks........:)....jane

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Sorry i cant be of help..but thank goodness they are looking after you !
Hope you feel better very soon.
x x

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi jane,

I don't know on what grounds the Lupus was diagnosed (ANA, other AB's, symptoms etc.) but a Hepatitis infection can cause ANA to be positive, as well as rashes, arthritis, and a secondary vasculitis due to antibody production (cryogloubins). If you do have Hep C, it may be that you don't have Lupus afterall. I don't know which I would hpoing for? No disease would be the best option. Anyway I wish you lots of luck with your appointment and further testing. If you have any questions, I'll do my best.

LG
Monique

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi..yes....nearly most basic critia! for both...im also not certain which one i would preferre?!!!!!:rotfl:.....well if i had the choice...on a serious note though..i find it rather odd that if it is that ..then why has it taken so long to show up?...i had a blood transfusion of 6 pt in 1987 because i was having a miscarriage and needed it....at 26 weeks....baby died, due to placenta abruption.....But thats a different storey.....i suppose they will tell me when they get the results next week..:)..jane

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi jane,:hug:
If you have contracted hepatitis C from a blood transfusion :mad: What rotten luck.
The virus lays dormant for many years before symptoms show. many people don't know they have it. Also screening blood donors for hep C wasn't happening then.

Hep C or lupus........hmmm tough choice. Lupus is more unpredictable I suppose.
Good luck whatever the answer. You seem to be receiving good care.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I just hope you know the answer soon... not knowing can be so hard. Once you know, then the treatment will be better guided for sure if the dx does change.

My doctor tested me for Hep C mostly as a precautionary measure to make sure they weren't missing anything after I came out of my pregnancy induced remission (this despite high ANA and same symptoms as before). I had no elevated liver enzymes even and they still tested me for this.

Take care...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Jane,
Just wanted to say I'm sorry for what you are going thru. I wish you the best on your tests results.

I had a blood transfusion in 84 and had a bunch of symptoms about 15 yrs after it, that led to a sonogram of my abdomen and found out I had an enlarged liver. After all the tests for every kind of hepatitis came back normal, they didn't know what to tell me about my symptoms or the enlarged liver.

Looking back I think it was the lupus even though I didnt get DX'ed until 4 years ago. I had flu like aches and pains and nausea on and off for yrs but didn't go back to the doctor because I was so afraid after the hepatitis scare I went thru.

Good luck darling, please let us know how it goes for you.
Mary

·
Registered
11 Posts
im very sorry to hear that but please dont think the worst till you no hep c can present flu like symptoms but so can many other things blood has been scaned for quite a while now and im sure somthing would of come up before now please please dont worry until you no and remember at least you will no at present there is a lot of people walking round who will never no if they have it take care and please keep us posted x:sad:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Jane,

It is very important to follow up on your lab reports as well as a physical. Unfortunately, back in the 80's, many didn't have the ability to check the donated blood to make sure that it wasn't infected with Hep C as well as other nasty bugs.

While the first thought is Hep C, you might want to google Autoimmune Hepatits. I cannot exactly remember the symptoms and what the problems are, but I do know that it can cause your liver to be enlarged, etc.

Again, don't hesitate, get things checked out. Let us know what you find out. We will be thinking of you.

Nancy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts