The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am not sure where to post this. Please feel free to move it if it needs to be placed somewhere else.

My bloodwork about 6 months ago came back really good. Today I went to see my rheumy and he wanted to run a lot of bloodwork again. Which he did! :eek: He also wanted a urine test along with the 24 hr. urine test. (I hate doing that!!) I guess we do what we have to. :blush: Don't you just "love" carrying that huge, brightly colored jug of urine into the lab office!!:rotfl:

My question: My rheumy said since my bloods came back good last time, he is running a whole bunch of tests this time and wants to see me in 6 weeks to go over the results. He said if they come back good again he is thinking about taking me off the plaquenil which I have been on for about 2 years now. I am not sure why but he said we will sit down and go over everything in 6 weeks. He did say he is thinking lupus? Do you think he might be thinking if he takes me off the plaquenil and I get worse again then that might help him to make a final dx. of lupus? I know he is not quick to give out a dx. and wants to rule everything else out first.

I am somewhat confused about this and wanted to know if this is something other people have gone through? Are there questions I should ask him when I see him in 6 weeks? If so, what are they?

Your help is appreciated,
Janice

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Janice,

Some doctors will take patients off of Plaquenil if they are in remission for a considerable length of time. Personally I would ask to just go down to a lower dose rather than stop it all together. As far as diagnosing Lupus for sure I have no idea. I don't think a doctor would stop a treatment that is effective for a patient just to clinch a diagnosis.

I hope you are feeling much better and enjoying the lack of symptoms.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Karen for your reply.

What you said makes a lot of sense. He isn't going to do anything until my blood work comes back and then will sit down with me and go over everything. I go back in May and he will tell me then what he plans on doing. If he does decide to take me off the plaquenil, I will ask about a lower dose. He did just add another medication for dry mouth. I will take this pill three times a day. Sometimes I get tired of taking all these pills but at the same time very thankful we have them to help us!

Thanks again Karen!
Janice

1 - 3 of 3 Posts