The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I have been diagnosed with lupus for the past 2 years. My dr. does not want me to be in crowded areas, like malls, mass transportation. I shop using the Internet. He also does not want me to be on a plane because of the confinement and germs and thus infection.
Has anybody else been told this.
I appreciate any input
Thanks

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hi Perwel, no I was never told not to travel by plane, but I have not had any respitory problems or organ involment. Have you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I do not have a chronic respiratory problem.
However, I went on a field trip (on a bus with no a/c) to LA with my class. We were stuck on the bus for 21/2 hours and I got real sick with a respiratory problem and was out of work for a week.
Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi perwel and welcome :)

It might have something to do with some of the meds you are on?

Which meds do you take for your lupus?

love
Lily

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lily,
I am on Plaquinel 400 mg a day.
This is incredible to be in touch with people from Canada and Australia

·
Registered
77 Posts
hi ya
since being dx i have been on buses and planes and have had no come back on it, i think you should be ok but did your doc explain why he didnt want you travelling this way ??

angi

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
The only time that I have been told not to travel by plane was in Feb 2005. I had been recently discharged from the hospital following a lengthy admission to which I had been quite ill. The docs did not want me in a confined space because of the threat of germs, etc. Problem was, my then fiance and I wer to fly to Vegas for our wedding/honeymoon. Oh well, things happen and we changed our plans and got married here where we live.

Right now, I think it would be tricky to travel during flu season, etc. I personally would not want to be on an extended flight, again, my opinion. Of course, someone could say the word flu and I would catch it:lol: .

Just because someone has Lupus, does not mean that we have to stop living our lives. It is however, a good thing to take the necessary precautions. One could wear a painters mask to cover the mouth and nose to limit inhaled germs. Carry hand sanitizer and use it. Proper handwashing is a must, regardless of an illness or not. Do not assume that everyone washes their hands after visiting the potty or blowing their nose:sneeze: :sick: . If you do take a flight, long car ride, train ride, be sure to get up and stretch your legs often. Some people have the misfortune of developing blood clots in their legs. By getting up and moving around, if keeps the circulation going and can help prevent blood clots. When I travel to St Louis, Missouri or Springfield, IL which is over 2 hours from where I live, I make it a point to stop about every 45 minutes or so to get up and walk around.

Enjoy life and take advantage of every moment that you can.

Nancy

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I have travelled back and forth from USA - UK several times a year for the past nearly 10 years. There's nothing particularly wrong with me lupus wise. I have been on a couple of anti malarials most of that time and low dose Imuran as well for the latter part. I also travel regularly on public transport although rarely very crowded. I never go to crowded places because I can't stand the the crush or the hatred of humanity in general that results.

I rarely suffer any sort of infectious type illnesses.

I'd say I tended to get some sort of upper respiratory tract trouble after the flight but nothing serious.

I can think of several reasons why being stuck on transport might induce very bad feelings that could result in real physical illness.

You need to ask him precisely why he advised against it.

Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi again perwel,

Yes I think Clare is right, you need to ask him point blank why he said that.

Plaquenil is not an immune suppressant medication like some of the other stuff we take and would not make you more prone to infection. It's a DMARD (disease modifying anti-rheumatic drug) and as long as we pay attention to washing hands and normal measures of hygeine like anyone would then it shouldnt be too much of a problem in and of itself. However you may have some particular concern that would make you more prone to respiratory infections perhaps?

love
Lily

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Perwel,

This does sound strange. I was advised recently by my doc not to travel as I was at risk of viral pnuemonia as I was in a flare & had a chest infection. Other than that I travel from the UK to the US every 6 weeks or so on business with my docs approval. I am currently in the states & have been very well.

The only slight complaint I have is that my joint pain is a little more uncomfortable with the cabin pressure.

I would only think that you were at risk if your white cell count was really low?

Take care,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
umm, that seems a little strange. I would ask for more information, and get a second opinion.

I am on zillions of immune supressing meds, and last year flew New Zealand to London (24 hour trip) then straight on to Zurich. Didn't catch a thing, no blood clots either and I have APS.

Definitely ask for a second opinion, I'm with Lily on this, plaq isn't an immune supressant like pred or imuran etc, so unless you have something else wrong with you then it does seem very odd. I go shopping anytime I like etc etc. I don't think it is healthy to isolate yourself without very good reason. There may be additional reasons, but in your case I would make sure I knew what they are.

hth, and go and have a chat with that doctor

raglet

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have lupus and I'm a flight attendant. It's probably not the best career choice for me, but I don't have any problems (except getting tired from long flights) with flying. But then again, I don't get sick easily. Sounds like you may have different circumstances. I take prednisone, plaquenil, and Imuran and have joint and chronic chest pain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Perwel36, i am Gabe i know im only 14 but i have done a fair amount of reaserch on stuff my docs tell me and, etc,etc. not to mention have a friends ( adult ) who is doc and there is nothing that would indicate why you can go in a plane. I understand not crowded areas and all, but planes to completely allow germs to fly very far because of there air filters and all. But if your doc is telling you this there must be some reason, right? So all i can really is just ask him or her striaght up why that is.

from gabe

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Gabe
Just to point out that that this thread is over three years old and the originator of the thread perwel hasn't visited since 16.11.2006 / 11.16.2006. Nice to meet you in chat yesterday.

Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Gabe,

No worries, I still do this from time to time.
If you take notice you will see the date that the post was originally written.
Welcome to the forum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts