TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
just wondering how alcohol effects everyone, i dont drink too often maybe once a month if i go out, but find i am not well for a week after,probably need to completly avoid it but its hard as i only 28 and all my friends like to drink.:sad:)

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
Am tee total Helen :mad: I know the feeling, so boring when your always sober. have you tried experiementing with diffetrent drinks? Maybe some will suit you better than others

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Many Lupus patients find that Red wines do not suit them.
I seldom drink, and am on medicines that rule it out anyway. I agree it is hard for you at only 28. Maybe white wine or a spritzer would fill the bill. Or find a really knowledgable bartender and throw yourself on their mercy for some interesting but not too strong booze ideas.

I am fortunate this was never a big thing for me. Boringly I am quite happy with St. Clements. (mixture of orange juice and bitter lemon)!

Don't think we have "met" yet Helen. Big welcome to you.
x Lola

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I had to give up alcohol because of my meds. I miss it occasionally, and have been known to order a margarita with VERY little alcohol in it. I get a chuckle out of the servers as I tell them I am driving, and tired. Funny thing.......the bartender just about waves a tequila bottle in front of the glass and calls it good. That way I don't have to go into health, medication, etc., reasons for not drinking much. With all the emphasis on "don't drink and drive," most establishments are very careful about anyone who says they are driving....and even worse, tired. Granted, I do NOT drink and drive....especially if I am tired.

For many of us who are on chemotherapy, it is not recommended to drink then. Those drugs are hard on the liver, and alcohol, even in small amounts, is discouraged.

An interesting topic.
Sally

·
Registered
138 Posts
Dear Helen

I know exactly what you mean: it seems like there are so many other things that we can't do, it's just not fair that we can't go out and have a few drinks with our friends (I am 31 so certainly don't feel grown up entirely). And I do sometimes do just that. I have accepted that it has to be just one evening, and that it shouldn't be too late, but that I will inevitably have a lot of joint pain afterwards. But sometimes it's worth it!Red wine is definitely not a good plan: I find my best bet is shandy (embarrassing, but at least it still feels like a pint!) or weak gin and tonic, since tonic on its own feels like a drink in itself. Or really good champage, but that's not exactly a frequent event (alas)! Basically I think cheap wine is the worst, esp cheap red wine, as it's got all sorts of junk in it I think.
Good luck!
xHatty

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Helen i find for some reason now i cant tolerate red wine :sad:and i did love a glass of red at the weekend, I can however drink dry white wine, the odd G & T :)...........i cannot take to many units i have to say,

take care Lin xx

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello

I'm 28 too and have had to cut down on alcohol since I was diagnosed - I find it doesn't mix with the meds and if I have a few drinks and a fairly late night it usually takes me a couple of days of rest to feel vaguely normal again! I've learned to try and pace myself - I'll have a couple of drinks with friends and I'm usually the first to go home but they understand that I don't have the stamina that I used to.

It is really frustrating having to cut back on the fun things but I hope you can strike a good balance and still have a good time :):):)
Meriel

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Alcohol is out for me. Instead I order one of the great non-alcoholic concoctions most places offer. They taste good and have no after affects.

:flower2:
Lazylegs

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I don't know what was harder, giving up my nursing career or my good friend Jose Cuervo. :wink2: Now don't get the wrong impression, I am not a lush by no stretch of thr imagination, but every now and then when my hubby and I would go out for supper, we would both have a drink. There might be that rare occasion that I might "tie one on" and then the yearly excursion to Las Vegas and I am sure that is self explanatory. However, now, I am just down to that once in a blue moon drink and trying to behave myself. I went out about three weeks ago with my mom and her bowling league and my hubby and daughter and I had a wonderful milkshake sized glass of a margarita for only $5, couldn't beat it if you tried. The next three weeks I have dealt with horrible vomiting. I am sure it was the flu but being my luck, it was the margarita and I will probably have to be quite leary of trying another one. fine, I will stick to my ice tea and Mt Dew and enjoy the floor show of drunks. I know that quite a few of my pills carrying the verbage of not to take and drink, so it is just best not to mix and cause problems. I guess, why go and borrow trouble. Man....now I am depressed:worried::worried::worried:. Ok, now I gotta go and find something salt free, fat free and ughhhhhhhh.

Nancy

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Sorry to mention this but I too avoid alcohol like the plague. There is no way to be sure of how alcohol will react with a) the drugs; and b) my body chemistry on any given day.
Far safer for me to drink soft.
Douglas+

·
Registered
49 Posts
Alcohol and Me

I just take plaquenil and prednisone, so I don't think drinking alcohol is contraindicated with these medications. With that said, I am not a big drinker, I may drink once or twice a year and even then I will usually only have a few drinks. I am not one to get drunk, as my husband likes to remind me- I have to be in control, and being drunk doesn't allow that. The last few times I had drinks, the next day or two were miserable. I had body aches, joint pain and severe fatigue. So I have personally decided that my Lupus and alcohol just do not mix and it is not worth the misery.

Delana :flowery:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I put an absolute limit of 2 drinks. Usually, Guiness or Jameson. Any more than that and I can feel it wear on me the next day. Moderation is the key! Red wines I have stopped altogether. Tell all your friends that like to drink, to pick a limit, then switch to soda. You don't have to leave the Pub ! Cheers! -Lupyman

·
Registered
50 Posts
If I go out I take the car, that way I can't drink. I always feel so ill after drinking so it's easier not to bother.

If I do drink I have a pint of spritzer comprising half a small glass of wine filled to the brim with soda. Sounds vile, but it's the only way I can tolerate alcohol.

I went to a birthday part a couple of weeks ago and wasn't well enough to drive, so I managed one drink and got so frustrated at everyone haranging me to have another, which got worse as they got progressively sloshed...

Sammy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts