The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed about a year ago. This year for the first time in my life I am suffering fron allergies. Watery eyes ,sinus headaches,neck pain, which i was told by my P.T.,is related to my sinus problem. Do you think there is a corelation between the lupus ,and all of a sudden after 50 odd years I have allergies? It just seems like too much of a coincidence. But on the other hand ,if my immune system is actually on overdrive all the time ,wouldn't i be more resistent to allergies ,colds etc? I'm confused to say the least. These sinus headaches are just killing me. I've had them constantly for 3 weeks now. Thanks for your thoughts on this. Kate

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
From another section on this website it states the following:

What is the connection between lupus & allergies? An allergic state produces a very specific antibody to substances such as drugs, pollen & grass. People with lupus are often very sensitive to such substances.
A ramped up immune system in lupus may also ramp up it's attacks against common allergens it appears. So yes, there very well may be a connection between the two things. Have you been started on any allergy medication yet? My husband has found Zyrtec to work wonders. There are many options out there: medication, staying indoors with AC on if it is allergy to tree/grass pollen, or use of a sinus rinse.

Hope you're feeling better soon & you're only allergic to the pollens of spring!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ,
My physical therepist recommended Advil Cold and Sinus. I also tried Claritin. Haven't tried Zrytec. Maybe I'll give it a try. The Advil seems to help because I also have a stiff neck along with the sinus stuff. But I have to take 2 every 4hrs or so to get relief and that's a lot Advil. And I can't take it at night because it's nondrowsy and keeps me awake.
Thanks for answering my question about lupus and allergies. Kate

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Zyrtec is nice because it's just one pill a day, and it *does* cause drowsiness so you take it at night before bed and it can help you get to sleep ;) But you should feel fine/alert during the day. At least that's how it works for my husband!

My brother who has allergies pretty bad (& lives in one of the worst cities in the US for people with allergies too!), finds he has to switch back and forth between Claritin and Alavert as they tend to lose effectiveness after a period of time. He needs a non-drowsy form for his work as a pilot so he uses those two.

You won't want to stay on that level of Advil for too long if you can help it. It's pretty hard on the kidneys, and Advil is one of the least preferred NSAIDs for lupus patients for a few different reasons (effect on kidneys, and very slight risk of a higher chance of aseptic meningitis with use in lupus patients in particular). Even very healthy people who take Advil at just 800mg a day total can get significantly reduced kidney functioning after many years of that stuff.

Good luck...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Maia,
That's all good to know. The Advil was making me feel kind of sick .I was even waking up and taking 2 in the middle of the night. I will try the Claritn/Alavert or the Zyrtec . Thanks so much...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts