The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, but does having Lupus mean you're more likely to suffer with allergies and intolerances?

I never used to react to anything, but now I get all sort of weird stuff. Take my watch for example - some days it brings me up in a red itchy rash, some days it doesn't. Ditto with the ring I always wear, and earrings. The sticking tape the nurse used after my blood test brought me out in a rash, and yet I cut my finger the other day and put a plaster on it and it was fine. I've mentioned hives in another post - a very strange thing they are. Mine often occur on the sides of my face and neck, and my lower arms and wrists/hands - occasionally on my abdomen and chest. Sometimes i'll itch and nothing actually comes up, except little broken capilliaries under the skin where i've scratched so much - I get this on my right earlobe a lot (I know, strange).

I'm also chronically congested in the sinus department, and get awful post-nasal drip, especially at night. I avoid dairy for this reason, but it doesn't seem to help. Eating white bread and pasta really doesn't agree with me either - my stomach blows up and makes everything churn :(

Argh I never used to get anything like this! I used to be able to eat and wear anything I wanted! Does anyone else have a miriad of allergies/sensitivities like this?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Gosh your post sounds exactly like me. The sticking plaster one happened very recently for me - had a blood test and the nurse put a plaster over it, I broke out in hives where the plaster had been. Never been allergic to them before on since - in fact as a test I put the exact same plaster on my other arm - nothing!

The worst allergic reaction I've had was when I was about 19 at University - practically the whole of my upper torso was covered in what looked like one giant hive. It was awful. The doc was very concerned. I do get hives quite a bit, usually only odd ones or small clusters.

Another very scary allergic response came about 3 years ago. The whites of my eyes filled up with a watery blister - it looked awful like my eyes were about to burst. I rang NHS direct and they sent me to A&E immediately. They told me it was an allergy they usually saw with people being allergic to horses. Hadn't been near one in years. I've had it twice since.

The weird thing with me is the same environmental triggers don't always produce the same allergic response. I have had some basic allergy screening and the only thing that came back was a mild reaction to house dust mite.

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
I must admit I am highly allergic, I was as a child. I was allergy tested and reacted to everything! :lol: I always have had chronic sinus congestion. I am more allergic since having lupus and I am also allergic to sticking plasters!!

I react to vaccines as well, but so do both my children and my youngest son is highly allergic and has chronic urticaria.

Interesting thread, I shall be interested in others posts.

Deb

·
11,410 Posts
I try to stay away from dairy products. Once and awhile I do have some ice cream.:innocent:

Since starting on my lupus meds is when I found out I couldn't tolerate dairy. It gives me horrible gas and I sometimes get the diarrhea.

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Many Lupies are very allergic people by nature. I was as a child, extremely so. Things have settled somewhat I still get anaphalaxis from fish and penicillan though but the other stuff is tolerable. Having said that I still get bizarre reactions to the weirdest things now and then, other days I am fine.

love
Lily

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know what you mean about fish - I had some salmon the other night and no sooner had I finished my dinner, I broke out in hives on my right wrist. But it doesn't always happen, which is just so weird! At the moment my thumbs itch like mad - they feel hot and look red, but no 'bumps' to be seen.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi :)

an interesting thread :) there are a few things I have noticed over the years that suddenly gave me a reaction..for instance fake jewelry now brings me out in bad rashes. I have to be careful with certain fruits like strawberries & blueberries..I then developed a reaction to certain face creams & got to the point were I could only use 50/50 cream. although this has settled since being on imunosuppressants.

I have to avoid eating too much dairy & wheat as this causes me to bloat & gives me stomach pains.
I am allergic to penicillin & maxolon, and I also had a bad reaction to sulphasalazine.

It's interesting to read the similarities between us all :)
love karen x

·
Duncan
254 Posts
Scorpio,
I did read in a lupus book recently by a prominent lupus doctor (I cannot remember which one) that people with Lupus are far more likely to have allergies. I went for allergy testing in my early teens when I kept falling asleep. I was found to react to many foods and substances in the environment.
Perhaps the fatigue was simply my Lupus and I didn't know it, but I have alway been allergic to many things. So to answer your question, yes there is a strong correlation between Lupus and allergies. They just like to pile the problems on us with Lupus, hey?!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.