The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feeling so abominable, I thought I would share the gloom.
Last Monday I went to a meeting during which a chap sitting close to me peeled an orange, despite the signs warning people about my allergy problem. I thought I might be OK but no such luck. (I should explain that I go into anaphylaxis with even just airborne fruit allergens.) Despite offers to drive me home, in my stupidity I insisted on driving, not wanting to inconvenience people further. (My wife says the first sign of a reaction is that my IQ drops 100 points.)
Partway home I realized that tunnel vision was starting, the world was losing colour and that my heart-rate was getting much too s-l-o-w. I know: normally the heart-rate increases with the drop in blood pressure but I happen to be different (yet again). Pulled over and managed to get the syringe together and injected myself in the leg with adrenaline. Then drove the rest of the way home and, by God's grace alone, did not rip the side out of my wife's car getting into the garage. (I did badly scrape her last car in just that way years ago.)
As will come as no surprise to anyone on this site, this led to a Lupus flare.
So Easter week has been spent mostly in bed, sore and semi-conscious. Not sure how often I have said, "This too will pass." I will not rehearse all the pains etc of the week. I miss the few things I normally do in a week!
So another week or two and I may be back to "normal", just in time for our trip to see the Grandson et al.
How do I feel now? As though I have been run over by a herd of elephants wearing hobnail boots.
Back to bed.
But the good news is I lived yet again and without hospitalization. Getting jump started in emergency wards gets old very fast.
I feel like asking myself, "Apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?"

·
11,409 Posts
(((Douglas)))

What a week you had.:(
Lupus always seems to like to get into the act and raise more trouble. Keep on resting and getting better.

Your wife sounds like a very intelligent lady.:bigsmile:

Have a great time with your Grandson in a few weeks.
Take care,
Lyn

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Yikes that is an awfully inconvenient allergy to have :(

Also such a pain to get a flare like that. I hope that it passes quickly, quicker than usual lets say...

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Douglas,
I sometimes have seizures and my Daughter is a frequent fainter, in both our cases the first thing we do is pretend to be normal. This invariably results in a rather messy collapse rather than a graceful descent to the floor. I think this "I will be okay" response must be quite a common one. Maybe you and us could all vow to work on it together.

I am so glad you weren't hurt and sorry you have suffered so much since.
Your anaphylaxis must be a very difficult thing to deal with.
x Lola

·
Registered
642 Posts
'I feel like asking myself, "Apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?"[/QUOTE]
:rotfl::rotfl:

Hope you recover soon Douglas:)

·
Administrator
10,181 Posts
Wow! I have not heard of that kind of allergy before. Glad to hear you were able to stay out of the hospital this time though.

I am right there with you in the IQ department. It is that stubborn streak in me that takes over :lol:

Hope you feel better soon,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
893 Posts
I would take the biggest syringe and sit next to the person who peels oranges despite the signs and hover it within perhiperal vision and grin with a wide eyed look :)

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Douglas,
You had an interesting week I would say. So it goes with most of us, lupus waits to hit at the worse times. I know what you mean about the hospital but I won't go in less I have to any more but it is more I am affraid that they will tell me to go home and rest or add even more meds to the list. The worst thing of course would to be admitted and I sometimes feel that if given time I can get things under control. I am pretty head stronge like that. It is a flouw, hay everyone has one right. I hope you the very best with getting back to normal very soon.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much. Still feeling lousy but .... which way is up?
"Tomorrow is another day!"
In the movie "The Wind and the Lion" Sean Connery's character Mullah Abdul El Ryzzulli the Magnificent, Lord of the Rif and Chieftain of the [something or other] Berbers (I kid you not!) has a great line:
"This has been a bad year. Next year will probably be worse."
Somehow I always laugh when I think of that.
Douglas+

·
4,435 Posts
Hiya Douglas.... hope you feel better soon. My daughter is allergic to oranges and a host of others too, the reaction getting worse each time...so next year may be worse!!! take care of yourself. ;)
Claire X

·
Administrator
7,566 Posts
Douglas, hope that you recover quickly. Allergies are no laughing matter especially when they are as serious as yours. I hope you have given appropiate feedback to the person who felt it was ok to peel an orange during that meeting?

Take care

Deb

·
Registered
631 Posts
nicky00
That advice really made me laugh. :hehe:

Douglas
Hope you are feeling better soon. How inconsiderate can some people be :mad:

Take care
Elle x

·
Lisa_S
441 Posts
Hi Doug - I have an allergy to shellfish, so carry around an epi-pen just in case, but it's unlikely anyone would ever shuck oysters in a meeting, so I haven't had to use it - and I'd think the social stigma of smelly food would prevent that as a possibility!

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Lisa

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hey Doug,

I am sorry that this happened to you and that you have had a rough go of things. I sure hope you get to feeling better. I must say your posts always make me smile.:):):)

Enjoy the grandson.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts